This Island Green Tropical Smoothie is a copycat recipe from Tropical Smoothie Cafe. It's the only smoothie on the menu that contains no refined sugars, and it's so frosty and refreshing that I could drink one every day.
And, Tropical Smoothie Cafe makes some of the best smoothies in the business. If you've had one, you'll know what I mean. The Island Green Smoothie is one of my favorites. So, I decided to make a copycat recipe, and here we are!
Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
✅It's packed with nutrients, making this one of the healthiest smoothies you can get at Tropical Smoothie Cafe.
✅It's easy to make at home.
✅There's no powders or complicated ingredients.
✅You'll be feeling all those sunny vacation vibes!
- Pineapple: You can buy a whole pineapple or use pre-cut pineapple. However, don't use canned pineapple.
- Banana: The riper the better for this smoothie recipe. A ripe banana will have brown spots on it.
- Mango: You'll only need a half cup of pineapple, which is slightly less than a whole mango. So, you can either use a whole mango and save the rest for another smoothie, or buy pre prepared mango.
- Spinach: You can use fresh or frozen for this recipe.
- Coconut Water: Coconut water is what gives the Island Green Smoothie that tropical vibe. If you want an extra rich and creamy smoothie, you can substitute coconut milk (from a carton).
How To Make Island Green Tropical Smoothie
- Line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Slice the banana. If using a fresh pineapple, peel and core it. Chop ½ cup of fresh pineapple.
- Spread the banana and pineapple out on the baking tray, and stick it in the freezer for at least two hours. I like to chop up the fruit and pop it in the freezer before I go to bed, so it's ready in the morning.
- Chop a ½ cup of mango and add it your blender along with the frozen fruit, spinach and coconut water. Bend until your smoothie is rich and creamy.
- Pour into a glass.
- Enjoy your Island Green Tropical Smoothie!
Recipe Tips And Tricks
- Swap the spinach for kale for an added superfood boost.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice for a citrus note.
- Add a scoop of vegan protein powder.
- For an extra thick smoothie, reduce the amount of coconut water you use.
- Meal prep your smoothies by freezing several portions of fruit on a baking tray, and transferring them to an airtight container.
Did You take This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's packed with Vitamins and contains no refined sugars, but there's a dose of fiber from the spinach.
You can use all fresh fruit if you want. Using a combination will result in a frostier and creamier smoothie.
The consistency and texture will change dramatically, so I wouldn't recommend it. Check out my smoothie without bananas recipe for a smoothie that is thick and creamy, but without bananas.
Craving More Healthy Breakfast Recipes?
Island Green Tropical Smoothie
- 1 banana sliced and frozen
- ½ cup pineapple chopped and frozen
- ½ cup mango chopped
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup spinach
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Slice the banana and pineapple. Spread the pieces out evenly on the baking tray, and freeze for at least two hours.
- Chop the mango and add it to the blender along with the frozen fruit, coconut water and spinach.
- Blend until the smoothie is thick and creamy.
- Add a vegan protein powder for an added protein boost.