Fruit cereal (aka Nature's cereal) is the vegan breakfast trend that took TikTok by storm!
The beauty is in its simplicity - fresh fruit, coconut water and a few ice cubes is all it takes to make this healthy vegan breakfast.
If you're looking for a fresh and healthy breakfast, you can't go wrong with fruit cereal. When you don't have time for pancakes or muffins and you're craving something vibrant and fresh, this is the breakfast for you!
Top Tip: You might also like my 5 favorite yogurt granola bowls.
What Is Fruit Cereal?
Fruit cereal is just what it sounds like - it's cereal, but instead of using grains, you use fresh (or dried) fruit. And, instead of using milk, you use coconut water. The fruit flavor seeps into the coconut water, giving it a fresh and fruity taste. How genius is that?
I love to start my day with a bowl of fresh fruit, and nature's cereal is such a fun and novel way to do just that. Feel free to get creative and make your own fruit cereal bowl - use whatever fruit you have in the fridge, add coconut water, and enjoy a healthy breakfast bowl.
Ingredients You'll Need To Make Fruit Salad
Know that these are only suggestions. Feel free to mix it up and use whatever you have on hand!
- Blueberries: I used blueberries as my fruit cereal base, because I love them. And, they're one of the most nutrient dense fruits you can find. They're loaded with Vitamin C, Vitamin K and manganese. Plus, an entire cup only contains 84 calories.
- Grapes: I used green seedless grapes because part of the beauty of nature's cereal is that you get to eat the rainbow. Grapes are nutritious too. They're loaded with B vitamins, copper and manganese, with a calorie count of 104 calories per cup.
- Mango: I used a cake piping tip to cut out star shaped pieces of mango (just for fun). Mango adds that tropical flavor that really levels up your breakfast bowl. Plus, mangos are a rich source of antioxidants, they aid digestion, and may improve heart health.
- Strawberries: What's not to love about strawberries? They're like nature's candy. It only takes 7 strawberries to equal one of your five a day fruit and veggie quota.
- Dried Apple Slices: Dried apples gives your fruit cereal a huge fiber boost. You can either chop them up into small pieces, or garnish your whole breakfast bowl with the pretty apple rings.
- Pomegranate Arils: Pomegranate arils (or pomegranate seeds) add a bit of tangy twang while making a significant contribution of nutrients. They're rich in fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate and potassium. Plus, they look like little jewels, and we eat with our eyes. Right?
How To Make Nature's Cereal
- Wash all your fresh fruit.
- Cut your grapes and strawberries in half.
- Using a melon baller (or cake piping tip) cut small pieces of mango out. Or, just chop your mango with a knife.
- Add the fruit to your bowl, pour coconut water in and add optional ice cubes. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and dried apple rings.
- Enjoy your healthy fruit cereal!
Here's a few suggestions for optional additions to your fruit cereal.
- Add a few sprigs of mint. The minty flavor soaks into the coconut water, giving it a fresh taste.
- Swap the mango out for fresh melon balls. Watermelon and honeydew are both yummy choices.
- How about a tropical fruit cereal with pineapple, mango, papaya and dried coconut shreds?
- Use coconut milk (from a carton, not a can) instead of coconut water.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use any plant based milk. I've used coconut milk (from a carton), and it was delicious.
Absolutely! Fruit cereal is vegan and gluten free and free of refined sugar.
Sure you can! Just wash and prep all the fruit and put it in an airtight container. In the morning, transfer it to your cereal bowl and add the coconut water.
Craving More Easy Vegan Breakfast Recipes?
Fruit Cereal - TikTok Nature's Cereal Recipe
- ⅔ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- ½ cup strawberries cut in half
- ⅓ cup mango chopped in small pieces
- ½ cup green grapes cut in half
- 3 dried apple rings
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- 2-3 ice cubes optional
- Wash a prep the fruit. Transfer to a cereal bowl.
- Add the coconut water and ice cubes. Enjoy!
- This recipe yields a generous serving. Cut it in half for a smaller serving. You'll still have quite a bit. The nutritional information is for the larger serving.
- If you want to prepare fruit cereal ahead of time, wash and prep the fruit and store it in an airtight container. When you're ready to eat it, simply add the coconut water.