This avocado smoothie is packed full of creamy avocado, bananas, spinach and lime. It makes a vibrant vegan breakfast or afternoon snack. And, all with no dairy!
I start every morning with a fresh juice or smoothie, and sometimes I add an added health booster with a shot of turmeric. But, Avocado smoothies are my hands-down favorite because they're packed full of nutrients, but they taste a bit like a lime gelato. You can even make a double batch for a healthy family breakfast.
Don't worry - this avocado smoothie doesn't taste of avocados. Avocados make smoothies thick and creamy, without adding any avocado flavor. Thanks to frozen bananas and lime, this smoothie has a sweet, tangy flavor. Give it a try! I think you'll find it will become your new favorite vegan breakfast.
Ingredients In Avocado Smoothie
- Avocado: Did you know that avocados top the list of fruits that contain the most protein? In fact, one 50 gram serving of avocado contains 1 gram of protein. Plus, avocados are packed with healthy unsaturated fats that help keep your joints healthy and supple. Aside from the numerous health benefits of avocados, they're creamy and delicious. Basically, they're the perfect candidate for a vegan smoothie!
- Banana: Bananas add natural sweetness. The riper the banana, the sweeter your avocado smoothie will be. This recipe calls for frozen bananas because they add more creaminess than a fresh banana would.
- Honeydew or Galia Melon: Bursting with sweetness, when a honeydew melon is ripe, it really does taste like honey!
- Lime: Lime kicks this avocado smoothie up a notch. Not only does it prevent the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown, it adds an amazing zesty taste. We're going to use both the juice and the lime zest for an extra boost of tanginess.
- Plant Based Milk: I prefer almond milk in my smoothies, but any plant based milk will work here. Coconut milk would add a nice tropical touch.
- Maple Syrup: I've included a small amount in the recipe for added sweetness, but it's entirely optional. Depending on how ripe your banana is, you may not need it.
- Spinach: Spinach adds fiber, calcium and Vitamins A, C and K. You could also customize this recipe by swapping kale or Swiss chard for the spinach.
How To Make An Avocado Smoothie
- Be sure to stick your banana in the freezer. I like to keep several bananas in the freezer, so I always have one handy for a my morning smoothie.
- All you need to do is put all the ingredients in your blender, and blend until smooth!
Avocado Smoothie Variations
- Swap Melon For Berries: Avocado and berries make great smoothie partners.
- Add Fresh Herbs: Basil and mint would be good choices here.
- Make It Tropical: Add frozen pineapple or mango for a tropical vibe.
- Give Your Avocado Smoothie A Protein Boost: Add a scoop of your favorite vegan protein powder for an added hit of protein.
- Use Dates: Fancy a little sweetness without using maple syrup? Add a date to your smoothie. Soak it in a bit of hot water before adding it to the blender.
- Freeze Your Avocados: Freeze your avocado for an extra thick and creamy smoothie. You may need to add a bit more plant based milk.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Generally, this smoothie is best consumed right after you've prepared it. But, the lime juice will keep the avocado from oxidizing for several hours.
Yes, but you'll need to substitute another liquid. Apple juice would be a good choice.
No, it's totally optional. If your banana is ripe enough, you probably won't need any extra sweetness. Or, add a date that's been soaked in hot water.
275 calories per serving.
You Might Also Like These Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
Blueberry Oat Breakfast Bars By Alyssa Flynn Plant Based
Creamy Avocado Smoothie
- 1 avocado
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup honeydew melon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup plant based milk
- Put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.