Understanding planetary days is a powerful tool! When you align your intentions with the natural rhythms of the universe to manifest your desires, you're working with, not against, the power of the cosmos. Each planet has its own unique energy that's strongest on that planet's corresponding day of the week. In this post, we'll explore how to harness the power of planetary days to support and amplify your intention setting practice.
Historically, planetary days have guided the timing of agricultural practices, healing, divination, ritual work and magic. And, that power can still be harnessed today.
Planetary days, and hours (which I'll cover in another post) are essential to the practice of alchemy, divination and magic. For instance, some days are more auspicious for certain types of activities, such as setting intentions, performing a cord cutting ritual, or banishing negative energy. There are also energetic portals such as the Lion's Gate Portal when spiritual energy is heightened.
In this article, we'll explore the significance of planetary days, and how you can use them to enhance your spiritual practice by choosing the energetically best day for your intention setting practice and rituals.
What Are Planetary Days?
Planetary days refer to the seven days of the week, each of which is associated with one of the seven classical planets and luminaries of astrology. As I mentioned above, we can further break a day down into planetary hours, which we'll cover in another post. Here are the planetary days:
- Monday: The Moon ☽
- Tuesday: Mars ♂️
- Wednesday: Mercury ☿️
- Thursday: Jupiter ♃
- Friday: Venus ♀️
- Saturday: Saturn ♄
- Sunday: The Sun ☉
Each planetary day is imbued with the energy of its corresponding planet. The best results for your intention setting practice and rituals will come via working with the energies during their most auspicious times. We'll explore each of the seven days of the week and the planet that rules each day in this post.
Monday - Moon Day ☽
Monday is the planetary day of the Moon, the embodiment of divine feminine energy.
The Moon holds a special place in the hearts of many spiritual seekers because it embodies all the characteristics of the divine feminine, i.e. the intuitive, creative aspects of the universe. Through its cycles and phases, the Moon mirrors the ebb and flow of life, the waxing and waning of our emotions, and the natural rhythms of the world around us.
The Moon's energy can help you tap into your intuition, connect with your higher self, and access deeper levels of spiritual insight. Hence, many spiritual practices are aligned with its cycles. Full Moon ceremonies, setting intentions by the full or new moon and using lunar calendars are all activities we do today to honor the moons phases.
In astrology, the Moon is the ruling planet of the zodiac sign Cancer.
Harness the full power of the moon on Monday. Here's a few activities that would benefit from a boost of Moon energy:
- Meditate: Monday's energies are perfect for spiritual practices like meditation. This is also the perfect time to do any work you might want to do on your sacral chakra. Try these sacral chakra affirmations.
- Work On Developing Your Intuition: The Moon is associated with intuition and psychic ability. Use the naturally strong psychic energy present on Mondays to further develop your intuition by practicing divination, such as tarot or oracle cards.
- Gather With Other Women: Because the Moon carries the energy of the divine feminine, Mondays are a great day to meet with your girlfriends. If you're a part of a women's circle, Monday is an ideal day to meet.
- Relax And Practice Self Care: We've all heard of self care Sunday, but why not harness the power of the Moon and nuture yourself on Monday? Journaling, cleansing baths and setting intentions are all wonderful activities that will be enhanced by the feminine energy of the moon.
- Full Moon? : If the full moon happens to fall on a Monday, now is the ideal time to practice your full moon affirmations.
- Water Rituals: Any rituals that involve the use of water will benefit from the planetary day of Monday and the energy of the Moon. Cleansing crystals with water or the light of the moon would all benefit from the energy of Monday,
Tuesday - Mars Day ♂️
Tuesday is the planetary day of Mars, who's the God of War in Roman mythology. As such, Tuesday's energy is courageous, strong, and action-driven. Mars is also associated with passion, drive, and assertiveness, making Tuesday an excellent day for taking decisive action and pursuing your goals.
In Roman mythology, Mars was the god of war and one of the most important deities in the Roman pantheon. He was also known as Ares in Greek mythology.
Mars was depicted as a muscular, bearded man wearing armor and carrying a spear or sword. He was associated with the virtues of bravery, courage, and military prowess. As the god of war, Mars had the power to influence the outcome of battles and conflicts.
In addition to his association with war, Mars was also linked with agriculture and fertility. He was the father of Romulus and Remus, the legendary founders of Rome, and protected the city and its people from harm.
Those born under the sign of Mars, which includes Aries and Scorpio, are confident, ambitious, and competitive.
Here are some activities that will benefit from Tuesday's Mars energy:
- Physical Exercise: Engaging in high-intensity workouts, weightlifting, or martial arts can help you tap into Mars' energy and build up your strength and endurance.
- Root Work: Use this day to work on balancing your root chakra.
- Goal-Setting: Mars is associated with drive and ambition, making Tuesday a great day to set new goals and take action towards achieving them. Use Tuesday as a day to focus on your goals, develop a plan of action, and take the first steps towards realizing your dreams.
- Conflict Resolution: Mars is associated with assertiveness and confrontation, making Tuesday a good day for resolving conflicts or standing up for yourself. Use Tuesday as an opportunity to address any conflicts or challenges you may be facing and find assertive, yet constructive, ways to resolve them.
- Leadership And Entrepreneurship: Use the strong leadership energy of Mars to take charge and assert your authority. If you're an entrepreneur, use Tuesday to focus on building your business and taking bold steps towards success.
**Keep in mind that Mars is also associated with impatience and aggression, so be mindful of balancing your assertiveness with patience and diplomacy when engaging in activities on Tuesday.
Wednesday - Mercury Day ☿️
Wednesday is the planetary day of Mercury, which is associated with communication, financial gain, intellect, and adaptability.
In Roman mythology, Mercury was the god of commerce, communication, and travelers. He was also known as Hermes in Greek mythology. Mercury was the son of Jupiter and Maia, and was considered to be one of the twelve Olympian gods.
He was often depicted as a young man with winged sandals and a winged helmet, which symbolized his speed and ability to travel quickly between different worlds. He carried a caduceus, a winged staff with two serpents wrapped around it, which is a symbol of commerce and negotiation.
Mercury was known for his cunning and quick wit, as well as his ability to persuade and communicate effectively. He was associated with traders, merchants, and other people involved in business and commerce.
Those born under the sign of Mercury, which includes Gemini and Virgo, intelligent, adaptable, and skilled communicators.
- Learning and Education: Wednesday an excellent day for learning and expanding your knowledge, due to Mercury's association with learning. Whether it's taking a class, attending a lecture, or reading a book, use Wednesday as an opportunity to engage in intellectual pursuits and expand your mind.
- Communication And Networking: Wednesday is a prime day for communication and networking, as Mercury is known as the messenger of the gods in Roman mythology.
- Writing And Speaking: Mercury is associated with language, making Wednesday a great day for writing, speaking, and expressing yourself through words. Whether it's writing a blog post, giving a presentation, or engaging in public speaking, use Wednesday as an opportunity to express yourself and share your ideas with others.
- Organization And Planning: Mercury is associated with adaptability, making Wednesday a great day for organizing and planning. Use Wednesday to create a to-do list, schedule your week, and streamline your daily routines.
- Problem-Solving: Mercury's quick thinking and problem-solving abilities make Wednesday an excellent day for tackling challenges and coming up with innovative solutions.
- Make Travel Plans: Set your intentions to travel on Wednesday and use the Mercurial power of protection over travelers to keep you safe.
- Setting Abundance Intentions: Given that Mercury is associated with financial gain, this is the day to set your abundance intentions.
Thursday - Jupiter Day ♃
Thursday is the planetary day of Jupiter, the King of the Gods and the planet of expansion.
In Roman mythology, Jupiter was the king of the gods and the god of the sky and thunder. In fact, he was one of the most important, powerful deities in the Roman pantheon.
Jupiter was often depicted as a bearded man holding a thunderbolt in one hand and an eagle in the other. He the protector of the state and the Roman people, and was also associated with law, justice, and morality.
Jupiter was often linked with the Greek god Zeus, and many of their myths and legends are similar. Jupiter was born to Saturn and Ops, and he overthrew his father to become the king of the gods. He was married to his sister Juno, who was the goddess of marriage and childbirth.
Jupiter was often worshiped through elaborate festivals and sacrifices, and he had many temples and sanctuaries throughout the Roman Empire. Many Roman rulers also claimed to be descendants of Jupiter, and some even identified themselves as Jupiter reincarnated.
Here's a few activities that will benefit from the planetary day of Jupiter:
- Obtaining Honors: Thursday is an auspicious day to focus on personal and professional development, and to seek recognition for your accomplishments. Take the time to reflect on your achievements and consider ways to enhance your skills and expertise. You may also want to consider ways to gain visibility and recognition in your field or community.
- Acquiring Riches: Thursday is an excellent day to focus on your abundance and prosperity. Use this day to develop a financial plan, explore new investment opportunities, or seek out ways to increase your income. You may also want to focus on cultivating a mindset of abundance and gratitude to attract more abundance into your life.
- Contracting Friendships: Jupiter is also associated with social connections and community. On Thursday, take the time to connect with friends and colleagues, or to seek out new opportunities to expand your social circle. You may also want to focus on cultivating positive and supportive relationships that can help you achieve your goals and dreams.
- Preserving Health: Jupiter is associated with holistic wellness and overall health. Use Thursday as a day to focus on your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Consider incorporating healthy habits like exercise, meditation, or self-care practices into your routine. You may also want to focus on developing a positive mindset and cultivating a sense of inner peace and harmony
Friday - Venus Day ♀️
Friday is the planetary day of Venus, the planet of love, beauty, harmony, and material comforts.
Venus was the goddess of love, beauty, and fertility. She was also known as the mother of Rome and was believed to be the ancestor of the Roman people.
According to legend, Venus was born from the sea foam and was said to be the most beautiful of all the goddesses. She was known for her seductive charm and her ability to inspire love and desire in others. She was often depicted with a son, Cupid, who was the god of love and desire.
Venus was worshiped throughout the Roman Empire and was seen as a powerful force that could bring about love, happiness, and fertility. She was associated with spring and the blooming of flowers, and her influence was said to bring growth and abundance.
Venus is traditionally considered the ruling planet of two zodiac signs: Taurus and Libra.
Here are some activities that will be enhanced by the energy of Venus on Friday:
- Self-care and Pampering: Venus is associated with beauty, so Friday is an ideal day for indulging in self-care activities like getting a massage, doing a facial, or getting a manicure/pedicure. This is a day to pamper yourself and take care of your body and appearance.
- Artistic Pursuits: Venus is associated with the arts, so Friday is an ideal day to engage in creative activities like painting, sculpting, writing, or music. This is a day to let your imagination run wild and express yourself through the arts.
- Romance and Relationships: Venus is the planet of love, so Friday is a great day to focus on building relationships and spending time with loved ones. This is a day to plan a romantic date or spend time with friends and family.
- Indulge: Venus is associated with materialistic comforts and possessions, so Friday is a good day for shopping and updating your wardrobe. Look to where Venus is in your natal chart to see what indulgences might best suit you. For instance, I have my Venus in Libra, and what suits my sense of indulgence is a weekend away. I'd far rather do this then indulge in material things, but each person will be different. This is a day to indulge in the finer things in life and treat yourself to something special.
- Enjoying Nature: Venus is associated with the beauty of nature, so Friday is a great day to spend time outdoors and enjoy the natural world. This is a day to take a leisurely walk, have a picnic, or spend time in a garden or park.
Saturday - Saturn Day ♄
Saturday is the planetary day of Saturn, the planet of discipline, limitation, and responsibility.
In Roman mythology, Saturn was an agricultural deity who was associated with time, wealth, and abundance. He was often depicted as an older, bearded man holding a scythe, which represented the passage of time and the harvest.
Saturn was also known as the god of generation, dissolution, plenty, wealth, agriculture, periodic renewal, and liberation. He was seen as a just and wise god, but also a stern and unyielding one, who demanded discipline and order from his worshipers.
In astrology, Saturn is associated with limitations, structure, and discipline. It represents the principle of restriction and control, and is often associated with challenges and hardships that lead to growth and wisdom. Saturn is also associated with responsibility, duty, and hard work, as well as with maturity, wisdom, and perseverance.
In astrology, Saturn rules over the zodiac sign of Capricorn and the natural 10th house of the horoscope chart.
Here's a few activities that will benefit from the energy of this planetary day:
- Setting Boundaries: Any activities that will benefit from setting boundaries, will benefit from the energy of Saturn. Need to cut out a toxic relationship or habit? Set your intentions and put them into action on Saturday.
- Household Chores and Domestic Duties: The strong and practical of discipline of Saturn will help you work your way through chores and domestic duties.
- Dealing With Challenging Tasks: Use the energy of Saturn to deal with daunting, challenging tasks. They'll be easier to face on this planetary day. Break them into small chunks and begin to tackle them with the help of Saturn.
- Long Term Planning: Use this day to focus on making long term plans and setting budgets. Saturn will give you the necessary focus and clarity to reflect on your personal goals, values, and responsibilities.
- Protection and Banishing Negative Energies: All protection rituals will benefit from the Saturn's ability to set boundaries, banish negativity, and strengthen your personal power and resilience. If you want to make a sigil for protection, Saturday is the best day to do it.
Sunday - Sun Day ☉
The Sun is the center of our solar system, and has played a significant role in human history and mythology since ancient times.
In astrology, the Sun represents the self, vitality, and life force energy. Mythologically the Sun is connected to the Gods Helios and Ra.
The Sun is also associated with success, abundance, and leadership. As the ruler of the zodiac sign Leo, the Sun is known for its bold and confident energy. Additionally, the Sun is often associated with the divine masculine, representing the active and outwardly focused aspects of creation. Understanding the significance of the Sun and its planetary day can help you tap into its energy and power for rituals, intention setting, and manifestation.
- Setting intentions for success and abundance in your personal and professional life.
- Working on projects or goals that require leadership, confidence, and assertiveness.
- Spending time in the sun and connecting with nature, particularly during sunrise or sunset.
- Performing energy healing or chakra balancing, especially the solar plexus and third eye chakras.
- Engaging in physical activity, such as yoga or hiking, to boost your energy and vitality.
- Doing creative work, such as painting or writing, to tap into the Sun's creative energy and inspiration.
- Lighting a yellow or gold candle and meditating on the qualities of the Sun, such as confidence, strength, and self-expression.
- Literally or figuratively plant something new to be nurtured by the life giving power of the Sun.
Frequently Asked Questions
In astrology, the seven classical planets rule each day of the week: the Moon rules Monday, Mars rules Tuesday, Mercury rules Wednesday, Jupiter rules Thursday, Venus rules Friday, Saturn rules Saturday, and the Sun rules Sunday.
Monday (Moon): white or silver
Tuesday (Mars): red and deep orange
Wednesday (Mercury): green
Thursday (Jupiter): yellow
Friday (Venus): pink, white, cream, red
Saturday (Saturn): purple and black
Sunday (Sun): yellow, orange or gold
Planetary hours are a system of timekeeping that divide each day and night into 12 equal parts, each ruled by a different planet. These planetary hours are believed to hold different energies and influences depending on the ruling planet. Practitioners of astrology and magic use planetary hours to enhance their spiritual practices and align with the specific energies of each planet.