This vegan sweet potato soup is so cozy and nourishing. Red lentils give it plenty of plant based protein, while sweet potatoes give it a creamy consistency. Curry spices and red chili provide a warming, exotic note. Plus, it's naturally vegan, vegetarian and gluten free!
Sweet potato lentil soup is one of my favorite vegan meals. Is there anything more classic than a hearty lentil soup recipe?
This recipe kicks it up a notch by adding sweet potatoes and curry spices. This produces a lentil soup that is closer to a curry or a dahl. That means you get a big bowl of rich, creamy comfort that's chock full of nutrients without all the fat of an Indian takeaway. If you're looking for a more traditional fiber and protein packed vegan lentil soup, try this cozy lentil barley soup.
Related Post: Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
💚Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
💚Its nutritious! If you're looking for a healthy dose of protein and fiber, this soup has it. Plus, it's gluten free and vegan
💚Sweet potato soup has fall written all over it. Like a hug in a bowl.
💚Kids love this soup, so if you want to sneak in a bunch of nutrients into picky eaters, this soup is a great choice.
💚This is a one pot soup with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil provides a great source of fat that complements the other flavors in this soup. If you don't have any, olive oil will work.
- Onion: Have you ever noticed that sauteed onions are the base ingredient of almost all great soups? Lentil soup recipes are no exception.That's because once sauteed to translucency, onions have a caramel like taste that provides a lovely umami note.
- Garlic: Garlic, once sauteed, will provide a nice earthy, sweet flavor.
- Curry Powder: Use your favorite curry powder, or garam masala. Lentil soup is the perfect canvas for curry spices.
- Red Chili Pepper: Adds a bit of heat. Feel free to omit the chili pepper if you prefer a milder lentil soup.
- Apples: You can use any apple you want, as long as it's an eating apple. I like to use Granny Smith because it has a nice tart taste that complements the sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
- Red Lentils: Red lentils need no soaking and they tend to dissolve as they cook, so they are perfect for creamy soups like this sweet potato and lentil soup. For a complete guide on how to cook red lentils, see my article: how to cook red lentils.
- Vegetable Stock: Be sure to check that your vegetable stock is gluten free if that's important to you. You can use a liquid or a dry stock cube.
- Sweet Potatoes: The mild, sweet flavor of sweet potatoes is what really makes this lentil soup recipe special.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk works perfectly with the curry spices in this soup. Use coconut milk from a can, not a carton.
👨🍳How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- Heat your coconut oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add your onion and garlic and saute over low heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Next, toss in your peeled and diced apple along with the curry spices, ginger and chili pepper. If you don't like your lentil soup spicy, please feel free to reduce or omit the chili pepper. Saute everything for a further 5 minutes.
- While your curry base is cooking, get on with peeling and chopping your sweet potatoes.
- Finally, add your sweet potatoes, lentils, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper and pop the lid on the pot. Leave the soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Now all you need to do is blend the sweet potatoes and lentils in with an immersion blender. Alternatively, pour everything into a food processor, and blend to your desired
- Tuck in and enjoy this seriously amazing sweet potato and lentil soup!
🧡Top with crispy croutons for an added layer of texture.
🧡Serve with a simple cucumber salad.
🧡Make it spicy by stirring in a teaspoon of hot sauce.
Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For longer storage, freezing this soup; it can be kept in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
When reheating, use a stovetop or microwave, and adjust the consistency with a bit of vegetable stock or coconut milk if the soup is too thick.
Vegan Potato Soup
You might also like this creamy vegan potato soup.
🙋Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! The spiciness in this recipe comes from the red chili pepper. To make the soup milder, deseed the chili pepper and use only a portion of it. Alternatively, if you prefer a spicier kick, you can leave the seeds in or add an extra chili pepper.
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten-free and vegan.
You sure can! For a thicker texture, reduce the initial vegetable stock and simmer the soup for longer. If you prefer a thinner soup, add more vegetable stock or coconut milk. Remember, you can adjust the thickness even after blending – simply incorporate extra liquid until it reaches your desired texture. I recommend making these changes gradually and taste as you go.
Craving More Easy Vegan Recipes?
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 red chili pepper deseeded and finely diced
- 1 apple peeled cored and diced
- 2 inch piece ginger grated
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ cup red lentils dry
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced apple, curry powder, chili pepper and ginger. Saute for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Transfer them to the pot, along with the lentils, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Put the lid on the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or a food processor), blend to your desired consistency. Garnish with chopped cilantro (coriander) and lime wedges.
- This sweet potato and lentil soup is naturally gluten free.