Learn how to make lentil chips (aka lentil crisps, depending on where you're from) that are baked, not fried. They're crunchy, cheesy and a little bit spicy . Plus, they're high protein and gluten free!
Are Lentil Chips Healthy?
Say goodbye to pre-packaged lentil chips. Many of the popular brands are full of starches, preservatives and surprisingly, loads of sugar. With this simple recipe you can make your own healthy sugar-free lentil chips at home, and it's easier than you think!
Lentils are a great source of fiber and protein. They also score 32 on the glycemic index scale, meaning they are a great low GI snack. In addition, they're also a good source of potassium and phosphorus.
You only need five simple ingredients to make healthy, crispy lentil chips.
- Red Lentils: No need to use lentil flour - we're going to use pre-soaked red lentils in this recipe.
- Nutritional Yeast: Otherwise known as "nooch", nutritional yeast is a vegan staple. It has a cheesy flavor that works perfectly here. Plus, it contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- Olive Oil: We will be using way less oil than you'd find find in pre-packaged lentil chips. Without it, you can't achieve a crispy texture.
- Sriracha Sauce: You can use any hot sauce you like, or you can omit it if you don't like spicy chips.
- Salt: Just a touch of salt enhances all the other flavors.
How To Make Lentil Chips
- Soak your lentils in one cup of water for at least three hours, ideally overnight. No need to rinse and drain them.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C). Line a 12x18 inch baking tray with parchment paper.
- Put the soaked lentils, nutritional yeast, Sriracha sauce, olive oil, salt and water in the bowl of your food processor or high speed blender. Blend on high speed until no lumps remain.
- Tip your lentil batter out onto the baking tray and spread it evenly across the pan using a spatula. Bang it against the side of the counter to even out the mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Peel off the parchment paper and cut the lentil chips into triangles. Return the chips to the tray, brush with one tablespoon of olive oil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the lentil crisps are crispy and golden.
Make It Your Own
This recipe is so flexible. You can add any spices or flavorings that you like! Here's a few suggestions:
- Add chipotle sauce instead of hot sauce for a Southwestern vibe.
- Replace the olive oil with sesame oil for a lentil chip that pairs perfectly with hummus.
- Season with rosemary or thyme for an herbal taste.
- Add a few Indian style spices like cumin, turmeric or garam masala.
How To Serve Lentil Chips
- Serve them with guacamole or hummus.
- Lentil chips would make a great addition to a vegan charcuterie board.
- Make a party platter with a smoky vegan cheese.
- Serve them with Romesco Sauce.
- Go Mexican and serve these lentil chips with Pineapple Salsa.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Lentils have a low glycemic load, meaning that yes, lentil chips are low GI and are suitable for diabetics.
No, lentils contain too many carbs to be suitable for those on a keto diet.
Store them in an airtight container for up to three days. Don't store them in the fridge - they'll get soggy.
Craving More Easy Vegan Recipes?
Baked Lentil Chips
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1½ cups water divided
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Soak lentil in 1 cup of water for at least 3 hours, ideally overnight. Do not drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F (175 ° C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a high speed blender, blend lentils, nutritional yeast, ¼ cup of the olive oil, ½ cup of water and Sriracha sauce.
- Spread the batter in a thin layer across the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove baked lentils from oven and cut into triangular chips. Return them to the baking pan and brush with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until the lentil chips are crispy and golden.