Dairy free brownies made with sweet bananas are the gold standard brownies! It might seem like an odd combination of ingredients, but once you try it, you'll return to this recipe again and again.
If you're looking for a great dairy free brownie recipe, you're in the right place! Crusty on top and oozing with chocolate on the inside, these brownies will have you living your best life:) And, all without milk or eggs.
You might be wondering how you can make a fantastic brownie without using eggs. Wonder no more, bananas are the answer! Plus, not only are they a fantastic egg substitute, they add an extra level of sweetness without giving your dairy free brownies an overpowering banana flavor. They also make them dense and moist, and that's what a good brownie recipe is all about. Am I right?
Let's make dairy free brownies!
Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
✅It's rich, chocolaty and gooey with the perfect brownie crust.
✅It's easy to make.
✅It's vegan friendly.
✅These brownies have no milk or eggs. They're completely dairy free.
- Bananas:We'll be using bananas in these dairy free banana brownies! My recipe calls for ½ cup, which is 2 normal sized bananas. Try to use the ripest bananas you can find. The riper they are, the sweeter they are.
- Flour: We're using all purpose flour here, but if you need a gluten free brownie you can swap in your favorite gluten free flour blend.
- Cocoa Powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder. Check out this article for a great breakdown of the best cocoa powders out there.
- Baking Powder: You need this in order to make your brownies rise.
- Sugar: Please check to make sugar that your sugar is not processed with bone char if you want to keep this recipe vegan. Some granulated sugars are, particularly in the USA.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar is a little miracle worker when it comes to producing moist brownies.
- Vegetable Oil: Choose a neutral flavored oil (not olive oil). Coconut oil works well here too.
- Vanilla Extract: Choose the best vanilla extract you can afford. It will really improve the flavor of all your baked goods.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips: For more information on how to choose a vegan brand of chocolate chips, check out my article "Are Chocolate Chips Vegan?"
- Salt: Salt naturally makes all the flavors pop.
How To Make Dairy Free Banana Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease an 8x8 inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together your flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Now, in a separate mixing bowl, mix together you vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar mashed bananas, and vanilla. You can do this by hand, but it's much easier to use a hand mixer.
- Tip your wet ingredients into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until there are no dry spots. Be careful not to over mix.
- Finally, fold in your chocolate chips and pour your batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow your brownies to cool for a bit before cutting them into squares. Enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
No, this recipe contains all purpose flour. But, you can easily swap in your favorite gluten free flour blend, and voila - gluten free brownies!
The answer is that it depends on the size of the pan. You'll obviously get a much thicker brownie in an 8x8 inch pan than in a 13x9 inch pan.
I love bananas! They act as a binder, just as egg would and they increase the moistness of your vegan brownies without adding an overpowering banana flavor.
You should store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They should stay fresh for up to five days.
Yes, you can. The best thing to do is to let them cool completely, but do not cut them into squares. Wrap the whole brownie in cling film and then foil. They should stay fresh for up to three months.
Craving More Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes?
Dairy Free Brownies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sat
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ripe bananas mashed
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease an 8x8 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, bananas and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- You can make this recipe gluten free by substituting your favorite gluten free flour blend for the all purpose flour in the recipe.