This Just Egg French Toast recipe is eggless and dairy free, but you'd never know it! Crispy on the outside, and creamy in the the center with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla flavor, this French toast will soon become your favorite vegan breakfast.
French toast (sometimes referred to as "eggy bread") is one of my favorite breakfasts. Somehow it feels more decadent and special than pancakes, and it's just as easy to make.
Typically French toast is made by combining eggs with milk or cream to form a creamy custard. Thick slices of bread are soaked in the custard and fried to golden perfection.
In this recipe, Just Egg, a creamy egg replacer, replaces chicken eggs. Almond milk is swapped for cow's milk...and there you have it...the best dang vegan French toast EVER!
Top Tip: If you're look for fabulous Just Egg recipes, be sure to check out my Just Egg roundup.
Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
✅Just Egg French toast is the perfect vegan breakfast. No one will ever know that it's completely dairy free.
✅Kids love this recipe.
✅This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes.
What Are The Ingredients in JUST Egg?
So, what exactly is JUST egg? And, is it healthy?
JUST egg is a delicious sustainable egg made entirely from plants. These are the ingredients listed on the back of the bottle:
Ingredients: Water, Mung Bean Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Contains less than 2% of Dehydrated Onion, Gellan Gum, Natural Carrot Extractives (color), Natural Flavors, Natural Turmeric Extractives (color), Potassium Citrate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Tapioca Syrup, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Transglutaminase, Nisin (preservative). (Contains soy.)
Amazon reviewers give it rave reviews, claiming that it looks and tastes like chicken eggs. And, I have to agree!
I decided to give it a try in this French toast recipe, and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between French toast made with chicken eggs, and Just egg French toast.
But, is JUST egg healthy? The answer is yes! JUST egg is:
- Cholesterol Free
- A source of plant based protein (one serving contains 5 g)
- Egg Free
- Dairy Free
- Allergy Friendly
- JUST Egg: The sustainable, plant based egg replacer that looks and tastes like chicken eggs.
- Bread: I recommend a thick bakery white bread. Sourdough works well here. You'll need 1 inch thick slices, so choose a bread that you can slice yourself.
- Almond Milk : I used almond milk, and it worked perfectly, but feel free to use whatever plant based milk you have on hand.
- Cinnamon: Sweet, woody cinnamon adds a warm, cozy note to JUST egg French toast.
- Nutmeg: Just a pinch is all you need to complement the cinnamon.
- Salt: Salt is optional. If you're on a low salt diet, it's perfectly fine to omit it.
- Vanilla Extract: We'll be using quite a bit of vanilla in this recipe. I always recommend buying the best quality vanilla you can afford. It makes such a big difference to the taste of baked goods, and this French toast is no exception.
- Vegan Butter: We'll be using vegan butter and vegetable oil to fry the French toast.
- Vegetable Oil: Choose a neutral flavored vegetable oil.
How To Make Just Egg French Toast
Here's how to make the best vegan French toast EVER!
- Preheat your oven to 250 F (120 C). Get out a baking sheet and a wire rack that's suitable for using in the oven.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together your JUST Egg, almond milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- Slice your bread into six 1 inch slices.
- In a large baking tray, lay out your slices of bread. Pour the Just egg mixture over the bread and turn each slice over in the mixture. Leave it to soak in for 5 minutes. If the pan is not large enough to lay your French toast out flat, ensure that each slice is coated in the egg mixture.
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of your vegan butter and 1½ tablespoons of your vegetable oil in a large non-stick saute pan. Fry French toast for 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to the wire rack and and transfer it to the oven while the rest of the French toast is cooking.
- After 3 slices of bread have been fried, wipe out the pan and add the remaining 1½ tablespoons of vegan butter and 1½ tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan. Fry your remaining three slices of bread, transferring each slice to the oven when it's finished cooking.
- Enjoy with lots of fresh fruit and maple syrup!
- Go classic and top your French toast with maple syrup.
- Grill some peaches and serve them with your French toast.
- Serve with a side of dulce de leche for a decadent breakfast treat.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top.
- Serve with vegan sausage or try my vegan bacon recipe.
- Top with my cinnamon roasted bananas or air fryer apples.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Just Egg is a plant-based egg substitute made primarily from mung bean protein. It is designed to mimic the taste and texture of traditional eggs, and can be used in a variety of ways, including scrambling, frying, and baking. Other ingredients found in Just Egg include water, expeller-pressed canola oil, turmeric, and natural flavors.
Just Egg can be a healthy option as part of a balanced diet, particularly for those who follow a plant-based diet or have an egg allergy. Compared to traditional eggs, Just Egg is cholesterol-free, and it is low in saturated fat.
One serving of Just Egg contains roughly the same amount of protein as a traditional egg, and it also provides essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals.
On the other hand, Just Egg also contains added ingredients like natural flavors, oil and salt as most packaged food do. So if you're trying to control your salt, fat or calorie intake, that should be taken into account.
Yes, Just Egg is free from most allergens, aside from soy. It's gluten-free and suitable for individuals with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease. It's also typically dairy-free and suitable for vegans.
Allow the French toast to cool, wrap in foil and store in the fridge in a reusable bag.
Absolutely!Place a sheet of parchment paper between each slice, wrap in foil and store in a reusable freezer bag.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Enjoy These Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Just Egg French Toast
- 6 slices (1-inch thick) bread *see note 1 preferably day old
- 1 cup Just Egg
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 1½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 250° F (120 ° C) Prepare a baking tray with a wire rack.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the Just Egg, almond milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large baking tray lay out the six slices of bread. Pour the Just egg mixture over the bread and turn each slice over in the mixture. Leave it to soak in for 5 minutes. If the pan is not large enough to lay your French toast out flat, ensure that each slice is coated in the egg mixture .
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of vegan butter and 1½ tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large non-stick saute pan. Fry French toast for 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to wire rack and and place in oven while the rest of the French toast is cooking.
- After 3 slices of bread have been fried, wipe out the pan and add the remaining 1½ tablespoons of vegan butter and 1½ tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan. Fry the remaining slices of bread, transferring each slice to the oven when it's finished cooking.
- Ideally, it's best to use day old bread. Cut the slices of bread the night before you intend to make French toast, and leave them on a plate on the counter overnight. If you forget to do this, don't worry...the recipe will still work!