I love making this rainbow sandwich recipe for a fresh, fun lunch. Loaded with fresh veggies and topped with harrisa mayo, you truly can "eat the rainbow "with this vibrant sandwich recipe.
This rainbow sandwich is the ultimate vegan sandwich. Piled high with fresh veggies, this sandwich has just the right combination of flavors and textures.
Harissa mayo adds a smokey, peppery flavor that levels up the flavor factor. Yum!
- Bread: Choose any kind of quality bread that you like. If you're wondering if bread is suitable for vegans, have a look at this article for answers to all your questions.
- Vegan Mayo: Creamy vegan mayo meets smokey harissa paste for a taste sensation!
- Harrisa Sauce: Use your favorite brand of harrisa sauce. I love the flavor of rose harissa .
- Arugula (Rocket): Arugula is peppery, almost spicy. It really adds a nice note to this sandwich.
- Avocado: Creamy, heart-healthy avocado adds a buttery, earthy flavor. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over your avocado to keep it from turning brown.
- Cucumber: Fresh, crunchy cucumber adds a refreshing, cool note.
- Tomato: Choose the juiciest, ripest tomato you can find. The riper they are, the sweeter they are.
- Shredded Carrot: You can either grate your carrots or julienne them. Alternatively, you can cut them into matchstick size pieces and pile them on.
- Purple Cabbage: Fresh, zingy purple cabbage is a colorful, crunchy addition to this rainbow sandwich.
- Yellow Pepper: Yellow peppers have a fruity, sweet taste that works well with the other flavors in this rainbow sandwich.
- Roasted Red Pepper: Roasted red peppers have a slightly sweet, charred flavor that's so delicious!! You can buy them in a jar, or make them yourself with my homemade roasted red pepper recipe.
Rainbow Sandwich Serving Suggestions
This sandwich is great on it's own - or you could serve it with a soup or salad for a heartier meal.
Rainbow sandwich would go well with any of these dishes:
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
More Healthy Lunch Recipes
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- ¼ cup arugula
- ½ avocado pitted
- 8 cucumber slices
- 1 tomato sliced into thin rounds
- 2 roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup purple cabbage
- ½ yellow pepper sliced
- Mix vegan mayo with harissa paste and spread on one side of two pieces of bread.
- Pile the veggies on top of the bread, starting with the arugula and proceeding in the order you prefer.