You'd never guess that this creamy vegan celery soup is totally dairy free. Not only is it vegan, it's also low calorie and gluten free.
I can't get enough of this vegan celery soup! It's so rich and creamy. It's the perfect Fall lunch or light dinner
You only need a few simple ingredients to make celery soup. And, it's so easy to make. Chop up all the ingredients, throw them in the pot, and this soup practically makes itself.
Top Tip: If you like celery soup, you should try my popular vegan chicken noodle soup.
- Onion: Red onion is what I used. It's just a touch sweeter than a yellow onion, but you can use a yellow onion if that's what you have on hand.
- Olive Oil: Choose a good strong extra-virgin olive oil.
- Celery: Celery sweetens when it cooks. It's part of the trinity of most soup bases (onion, celery, carrots) for a reason.
- Potatoes: Potatoes, when pureed, are what give this vegan celery soup it's luscious creaminess.
- Garlic: Garlic gives this soup a bit of a bite.
- Thyme: Earthy, lemony thyme strikes the perfect note in this vegan soup.
- Salt: Salt enhances all the other flavors.
👨🍳How To Make Vegan Celery Soup
- Step 1 - Saute The Veggies: Heat you olive oil in a large pot. Saute your onions, garlic, celery, potatoes, and thyme. Saute for 10 minutes. Add a little water if the vegetables begin to stick.
- Step 2 - Add Broth: Add the vegetable broth and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid off.
- Step 3 - Puree The Soup: Using a stick blender (or a food processor), puree the soup.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with bread.
If you'd like a chunkier soup, reserve a small portion of the sautéed vegetables. After blending, stir them in for added texture and depth of flavor.
🍽️What To Serve With Celery Soup
- This vegan celery soup is really rich and creamy, so it's the perfect dipping partner for crusty breads like this semolina bread.
- Celery soup pairs well with simple salads like this kale salad or this simple Jerusalem salad.
- Sprinkle some vegan bacon bits over the top to add a bit of crunch.
- For a full meal you could serve this soup with a big veggie sandwich like this Panera Veggie Sandwich.
Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe container or resealable bag. Vegan celery soup can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer the frozen soup to the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through before serving.
🙋Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use dried thyme instead of fresh thyme. Use about 1 teaspoon of dried thyme as a substitute for 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme.
Cooked celery is easier to digest than raw celery. It retains essential nutrients like potassium and folate while increasing the availability of antioxidants such as apigenin and luteolin, supporting heart and bone health.
Craving More Easy Vegan Recipes?
Vegan Celery Soup ~ Gluten-Free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion onion finely diced
- 5 cups celery chopped
- 3 cups potatoes chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and saute the onion, garlic, celery, potatoes and thyme for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup.