Air fryer zucchini fritters (aka courgette fritters, depending on where you're from) are crispy and crunchy without all the fat of pan fried fritters. Plus, they're dairy and egg free. Serve them with my popular quick vegan garlic aioli.
These zucchini fritters are a healthier, lower fat version of skillet cooked fritters. You only need a tiny bit of oil, and they still come out light and crispy.
One of the bonuses of using an air fryer is that you don't have much clean-up to do. Just pop them in the basket, press the button and you're good to go! Easy peasy.
I like to make double batches of these and freeze them for a quick snack or an easy brown-bag lunch option.
- Zucchini (Courgettes): Here's how to tell if your zucchini is ripe - choose one that is fairly firm, but not too soft. Overripe zucchini can be bitter, so be sure to check for the perfect amount of ripeness. Ripe zucchini is mild and sweet.
- Onion: Assertive and spicy onion loves to pal around with mild and sweet zucchini. Opposites attract!
- Flour: Flour acts as binder to bring all the ingredients together in a thick batter. If you want to make this zucchini fritter gluten free you can substitute a gluten free flour blend for the all purpose flour, and omit the breadcrumbs.
- Corn Starch: Corn starch absorbs the excess moisture from the zucchini and onions so that your fritters crisp up nicely in your air fryer.
- Baking Powder: Baking Powder gives your fritters a bit of lift.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder adds a nice, spicy twang that works well with the dill.
- Dill: Fresh, herby dill really makes these zucchini fritters shine.
- Salt: We're using salt here to draw the liquid from your zucchini. You simply sprinkle it over the zucchini, put it in a colander and let it drain.
- Breadcrumbs: Makes a nice crunchy coating! Perfect!
- Olive Oil: We'll be using this to brush on the outside of the fritters to really crisp them up in the air fryer.
How To Make Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- Grate your zucchini with a cheese grater or food processor and put it in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and allow it to drain for 15 minutes.
- Put your zucchini in a muslin cloth or lightweight tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible . If you don't have a muslin cloth, just squeeze out the excess liquid with your hands.
- Tip your zucchini into a mixing bowl and add the onion, flour, cornstarch, garlic powder and fresh dill. Mix until a thick batter forms and everything is well combined.
- Grease the insert in your air fryer and preheat it to 350 F (175 C).
- Roll your batter into golf ball sized ball and flatten them with your hand.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl, and coat the fritters on with sides.
- Transfer them to the air fryer, being careful not to overcrowd them. You may need to fry them in batches. Lightly brush with olive oil. Alternatively, you can spray them with an olive oil spray.
- Air fry for 15 minutes, flipping once at the half way point.
- If you want to serve these delicious vegan fritters with a dip, simply mix a bit of chopped dill with some vegan yogurt. Enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Yes! There's minimal oil and zero dairy in these zucchini fritter. They are primarily made of zucchini, which is a nutrient dense vegetable.
This recipe can easily be made gluten free by substituting your favorite gluten free flour for the all purpose flour. You will also need to omit the bread crumbs, or use gluten free bread crumbs.
Store them in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Absolutely! Let them cool completely. Transfer them to a parchment lined baking tray and freeze for two hours. Move them into reusable freezer bags and freeze for up to two months. To reheat them, defrost in the fridge and pop them in the air fryer at 350 F (175 C) and reheat for 5 minutes.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters - Courgette fritters
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion grated
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dill chopped
- ½ cup breadcrumbs finely ground
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Grate the zucchini with a cheese grater or food processor and put it in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and allow it to drain for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the zucchini to a muslin cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible . If you don't have a muslin cloth, just squeeze out the excess liquid with your hands.
- Add the zucchini to a mixing bowl with the onion, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, garlic powder and dill.
- Grease the insert in your air fryer and preheat to 350 F (175° C) for 5 minutes.
- Pour the breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl.
- Shape the zucchini mixture into golf ball sized balls and roll them in the breadcrumbs. Flatten them with your hand and transfer them to the air fryer.
- Lightly brush with olive oil and air fry in batches for 15 minutes, flipping once at the half way point.