If you're looking for the best homemade granola recipe, you're in the right place! This granola recipe is my ultimate favorite - it's vegan, gluten free and nut free.
Making your own granola is a wonderfully satisfying and affordable undertaking. It only takes about 40 minutes to make a batch that will last you all week . Plus, you get to choose all the ingredients that you want in your granola. It's so much better than paying a premium for sugary oat clusters.
This granola recipe has a well balanced variety of taste and textures, plus it's nut free. And, an added bonus to making your own granola is that your home will smell of toasty oats and maple syrup as it cooks.
- Rolled Oats : Oats are usually gluten free, but be sure to check if you want gluten free granola.
- Puffed Buckwheat: Puffed buckwheat adds a light texture to your granola. It's also a delicious gluten free alternative to wheat based cereals that's packed with minerals.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds have a naturally nutty taste when roasted. They are also packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Shredded Coconut: Adds a yummy, sweet flavor.
- Cocoa Nibs: Cocoa nibs have the dark, complex flavor of dark chocolate. Roasting them soothes their natural bitterness.
- Salt: Salt is essential in granola. It acts as a flavor enhancer and a foil to the sweetness of maple syrup. It also helps absorb the moisture of the oil and maple syrup, ensuring your granola comes out crunchy.
- Maple Syrup: Sweet and caramel like, maple syrup is what really makes this granola recipe special.
- Coconut Oil: Refined coconut oil has a neutral flavor, while unrefined coconut oil tastes of coconuts. I've used both kinds in this granola recipe successfully. Because we have shredded coconut in the recipe already, I'd suggest refined coconut oil.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla's job is to elevate the other flavors in a recipe. Choose a quality brand for the best results. This vanilla is my personal favorite.
- Dried Apricots: I love dried apricots in this recipe, but you could also use sour cherries, cranberries, raisins, banana chips or dates.
How To Make Homemade Granola:
Time needed: 40 minutes.
How To Make Home Granola:
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 F), line a baking sheet.
Mix together the oats, puffed buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, cocoa nibs and salt. Stir in the maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Transfer the oat mixture to a baking sheet.
Scrape the oat mixture onto a lined baking sheet. Spread it out into a thin layer and cook for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure the granola doesn't burn. Chop your apricots while the granola is cooking.
- Allow the granola to cool.
Allow the granola to cool before returning it to the bowl with the dried apricots.
All Your Homemade Granola Questions Answered:
When eaten in moderation, using a well balanced homemade recipe, granola is an excellent source of fibre, iron and heart healthy fats. It's generally much lower in sugar content than the store bought varieties as well.
You can store granola in a cool dry spot in an airtight container for up to six months.
Granola can be frozen just like you would freeze cookies or other baked goods. Put them in a reusable freezer bag and store for up to 8 months.
Craving More Easy Vegan Breakfast Ideas?
The Best Homemade Granola Recipe Ever!
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup puffed buckwheat or puffed rice
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds/pepitas
- ½ cup cocoa nibs
- ½ cup dried shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dried apricots chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss rolled oats, puffed buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, cocoa nibs and coconut flakes in a medium bowl. Season with salt.
- Pour melted coconut oil and maple syrup over oats mixture and mix well.
- Scrape into the prepared baking sheet and smooth into a thin layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut apricots into small pieces.
- Remove granola from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Stir in dried apricots.