Broccoli cashew stir fry is my favorite stir fry recipe! It takes under 30 minutes to make, and it's so healthy and delicious.
Everyone should have an easy, nutritious 30 minute meal recipe on hand for those busy midweek nights. This broccoli and cashew stir fry really fits the bill. You only need a few simple ingredients and a few minutes to make this tasty dinner that's loaded with healthy nutrients.
Broccoli and roasted cashews are sauteed in a homemade salty-sweet teriyaki sauce for a satisfying dinner that's not just for vegetarians and vegans.
- Broccoli: You can use plain or tenderstem broccoli here.
- Vegetable Oil: Choose a neutral flavored oil like sunflower or rapeseed.
- Cashews: I used raw cashews that I toasted myself (there's instructions in the recipe for this.) If you prefer, you can use roasted cashews. I find them a bit too salty, but they will still work in this recipe.
- Tamari Sauce: You can use tamari sauce for a gluten free stir fry. Or, alternatively soy sauce works here, but it's not gluten free.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar balances out salty tamari (or soy sauce).
- Mirin: If you can't find mirin, dry white wine or rice wine vinegar will also work.
- Ginger: Use fresh ginger. There's quite a lot of it in teriyaki sauce. It's what really makes this sauce shine.
- Cornstarch Slurry: A cornstarch slurry is water with cornstarch mixed in. It will make your sauce thick and glossy. A good alternative to cornstarch is arrowroot.
How To Make Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
- I recommend serving this stir fry with a base of rice, quinoa or noodles. So, the first thing to do is to cook whichever base you prefer according to the instructions on the packet.
- Next, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, water mixed with cornstarch, and mirin in a small saucepan. Let the sauce come to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 3 minutes over low heat. The sauce should be thick and glossy. Set your homemade teriyaki sauce aside while you start your stir frying the broccoli and cashews.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or saute pan with a lid. Toast the cashews for 3-5 minutes or until they're golden brown and fragrant. Tip the cashews into a clean bowl and set them aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan and saute the broccoli for 2 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and put the lid on. Let your broccoli steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour your teriyaki sauce over the broccoli and stir in the toasted cashews.
- Serve your broccoli cashew stir fry over rice, quinoa or noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chili flakes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Craving More Easy Vegan Recipes?
Broccoli and Cashew Stir Fry With Teriyaki Sauce
- 1½ tablespoon vegetable oil divided
- 4 cups broccoli
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoons chili flakes *optional
- ½ cup tamari sauce *or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar *or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon mirin *or rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon chili flakes
- If serving with rice, quinoa or noodles, cook according to package instructions.
- Prepare the teriyaki sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Set aside
- Heat ½ tablespoon vegetable oil in a large saute pan or wok. Toast cashews for 3-5 minutes, or until they're golden and fragrant. Tip the cashews into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the saute pan and saute the broccoli for 2 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan and put the lid on. Allow the broccoli to steam for 3-4 minutes, or until for tender.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the broccoli and stir in cashews. Stir fry for another minute to heat everything through. Sprinkle with (optional) sesame seeds and chili flakes