This Chinese jackfruit stir fry is the perfect vegan dinner recipe! Crispy jackfruit is stir fried with load of veggies for an easy, tasty midweek meal. Plus, it's so much healthier than a takeaway!
The amazing thing about jackfruit is how quickly its soaks up the flavors around it. It shreds beautifully too, so it's frequently used as a vegan substitute for pulled pork or chicken.
So, why not a Chinese jackfruit recipe? I thought jackfruit would be the perfect substitute for chicken in the popular honey chili chicken Chinese dish. And, I wasn't wrong! After a few trials, I finally nailed a Chinese jackfruit recipe is that is unbelievably sticky, sour, sweet and all around totally yummy.
How To Make Chinese Jackfruit Stir Fry
- Drain your jackfruit and squeeze out most of the liquid with your hands. This step is important - the more water you're able to squeeze out, the crispier your Chinese jackfruit will be. If you're using jackfruit that hasn't been shredded, put it in a bowl and shred it with two forks. To shred jackfruit, place two forks, with their backs facing each other, in a portion of the jackfruit. Pull the forks in opposite directions, breaking up the jackfruit as you pull.
- Add your tamari sauce, sriracha sauce and sunflower oil, and mix it well to ensure the jackfruit is evenly coated in the marinade.
- Now, pour your cornstarch/ cornflour into the bowl and mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok or saute pan. Add your jackfruit and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until crispy. You don't need to continually move the jackfruit around. Allow it to crisp up on each side, before flipping it. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crispy jackfruit to a plate with a paper towel. Wipe out your wok or saute pan.
- Next, we're going to make an easy (but super tasty) Chinese stir fry sauce. In a small bowl, combine your tamari sauce, rice wine vinegar, agave nectar, Sriracha sauce, vegetable oil and cornstarch. Stir until there are no lumps of cornstarch in your sauce.
- Pour your stir fry sauce into your wok or saute pan. Set the heat to low, and bring your sauce to a gentle simmer. Allow it to simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until it's thick and sticky.
- Add your veggies to the sauce and stir fry for 30 seconds. Don't overcook the vegetables. Now, add your crispy jackfruit and stir to coat it in the sauce.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions
Allow your stir fry to cool fully before transferring it to an airtight container. It should stay fresh for 3-4 days. Reheat in a wok or saute pan.
Absolutely! Just be sure to use tamari sauce, not soy sauce.
Craving More Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes?
Chinese Jackfruit Stir fry
Jackfruit And Marinade
- 1 can of shredded jackfruit
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce *or soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon Sriracha or other chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon, divided vegetable oil
- ¼ cup cornstarch *or tapioca starch
Chinese Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce (for gluten free) *or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar *or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sriracha sauce *or more, if you prefer spicy
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Chinese Stir Fry Vegetables
- ½ red bell pepper sliced
- 10 snow peas
- ¾ cup beansprouts
- 1 carrot julienned, or thinly sliced
- Drain the jackfruit and squeeze out most of the liquid. Put it in a bowl and shred it with a fork. *see note 1. Add the soy sauce, sriracha sauce and vegetable oil, and mix well ensuring the jackfruit is evenly coated in the marinade.
- Add the cornstarch to the bowl, and toss the jackfruit to coat it.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a wok or saute pan. Add the jackfruit and saute for 2 minutes, or until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crispy jackfruit to a plate with a paper towel. Wipe out the wok or saute pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the stir fry sauce ingredients.
- Add it to the saute pan and bring to simmer over low heat for 2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the vegetables to the sauce and stir fry for 30 seconds. Don't overcook the vegetables. Add the jackfruit and stir to coat it in the sauce.
- Serve with rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
- To shred jackfruit, place two forks, with their backs facing each other, in a portion of the jackfruit. Pull the forks in opposite directions, breaking up the jackfruit as you pull.
- Please note, the nutritional calculations do not include rice.