Learn how to make vegan pumpkin scones inspired by the much loved Starbuck's pumpkin scones, but minus all the dairy! These vegan scones are so tender, flaky and buttery that no one will know that they are dairy free.
Do you want to know the secret to making perfect scones, but without eggs or dairy? Trust me, it's not that difficult to bake up little batch of pumpkin heaven with a few simple tricks! And, you won't even be able to tell that they're vegan.
The perfect scone should be crumbly and tender and not too dense or cake like. Pumpkin scones should have a lovely earthy cinnamon depth that's complimented by a sticky sweet glaze. Sound good? Follow along for all the tips on making perfect vegan pumpkin scones that will rival Starbucks.
Ingredients in Vegan Pumpkin Scones:
- Flour: Pastry flour or cake flour is the best choice for any scone recipe. If you can't find it (or don't have it on hand), the recipe will still work with normal flour.
- Vegan Butter: Don't use a spreadable butter - they have too much moisture. Use a solid block of margarine.
- Baking Powder: This is the only leavening agent we'll be using.
- Vanilla: There's a reason vanilla is found in almost every baking recipe - vanilla naturally enhances the flavor in everything. Without it, your scones will taste bland and flat.
- Cinnamon And Nutmeg: Warm and earthy, these are the spices that give this recipe that amazing pumpkin pie flavor.
- Maple Syrup: Just a tablespoon will enhance the flavor, and maple pairs beautifully with pumpkin.
- Soy Milk: I always use soya milk in baking because it has the highest protein content of all the plant-based milks.
- Pumpkin Puree: Buy pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. You'll have over half the can left. Put it in an airtight container and freeze it. Or, try my pumpkin and chocolate muffins.
- Icing Sugar: A little bit of icing sugar mixed with water or your favorite plant based milk, is all you need to make the perfect glaze.
How To Make Perfect Vegan Scones:
- Clear out a spot in your freezer that's big enough for your baking tray. Preheat your oven to 220 C (450 F), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a medium-sized bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and work it into the flour with a pastry cutter or the back of a fork. The mixture should have a sand-like texture.
- In a separate bowl combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, soy milk and vanilla. Stir until the brown sugar dissolves.
- Next, pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and gently fold everything in with a spatula. Be careful to only mix until a dough begins to form. Over mixing will result in dry, dense scones.
- Now turn your dough out onto a floured surface. Flour your hands and knead it lightly. Don't worry if it's a bit sticky. It should hold together, but not be dense like bread dough.
- Finally, press your dough into a disk shape and cut it into 8 - 10 pieces like you would cut a pizza.
- Using an egg flip, gently transfer the scones to your baking tray and put them in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take your vegan pumpkin scones out of the freezer and gently shape them with your hands. Bake them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the scones to cool before glazing.
- Mix together the icing sugar and water in a small jug and pour them over your scones. Tuck in and enjoy!
Questions About This Recipe:
Scones are always best eaten fresh, but if you don't manage to finish them all, put them in an airtight container with a paper towel. The paper towel, will absorb any moisture and keep the scones fresh for a few days.
The best course of action is to freeze them unbaked on a baking sheet. Transfer them to an airtight container, and simply bake them according to the instructions in the recipes, but add on 4-5 minutes.
If You Like Pumpkin Scones, You Might Like These Recipes:
- The Best Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins
- Indian Pumpkin Curry
- Tik Tok Baked Oats
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread By Abbey's Vegan Kitchen
Vegan Pumpkin Scones
- 250 grams (2 cups) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 55 grams vegan butter
- 115 grams pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 55 grams ( ¼ cup ) light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 125 ml soy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 220 C (450 F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl and add the vegan butter. Rub it in with a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles a fine crumb.
- In a seperate bowl, add the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, soy milk and vanilla.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly. Press it into a circular shape and cut into triangles like you would a pizza.
- Transfer the scones to a baking tray and put the tray in the freezer for 15 minutes. Take the scones out and gently reshape to the desired shape.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.