Spinach pesto is a healthier, but no less tasty version of the classic basil pesto that everyone knows and loves. This recipe is made without pine nuts or dairy, so it's suitable for vegans and allergy sufferers.
It never hurts to have an easy-to-whip-up sauce recipe on hand. This spinach pesto fits the bill. You can make it in under five minutes. Then, all you need to do is add it to your favorite pasta, gnocchi or risotto. You can even use is as a salad dressing!
Spinach pesto is also so much healthier than traditional pesto. Spinach, as everyone know, is a powerhouse of nutrients. And, instead of using pine nuts, this recipe calls for sunflower seeds, a much healthier alternative.
- Spinach: Choose fresh, not frozen spinach for this pesto.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is a big component in any pesto recipe, so buy the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can afford. It will really make a difference to the taste.
- Lemon Juice: A good squeeze of lemon juice gives your pesto a bright, zesty flavor.
- Garlic: I've used two fat cloves of garlic, and I think the flavor is well balanced, but if you don't like garlicky flavor you can use one clove.
- Sunflower Seeds: We are going to use sunflower seeds as a replacement for the pine nuts you find in traditional basil pestos. I swear, you won't even notice the difference! And, allergy sufferers will be able to enjoy this spinach pesto as well.
- Basil: One cup of fresh, spicy basil really lifts this pesto.
How To Make Spinach Pesto Without Nuts
It couldn't be easier - it literally takes 5 minutes to make this incredible pesto!
- Pop all your ingredients into the bowl of your food processor and give it a 30 second blitz. Voila! Spinach pesto!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Absolutely! I like to freeze spinach pesto in an ice cube tray. That way you can pop out the cubes and add them to any dish you want.
Yes, just replace the basil with an equal amount of spinach.
Yes, this spinach pesto recipe is made without using any cheese, so it's dairy free. And, it's nut free and gluten free!
Craving More Easy Vegan Recipes?
Mango Habanero Salsa by Broke Bank Vegan
Creamy Spinach Pesto - No Nuts
- 2 cups spinach fresh
- 1 cup basil fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Put all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined.