Air Fryer roasted artichokes are the perfect 15 minute appetizer or side dish. Don't be intimidated by this prickly flower. They're actually quite straightforward to cook, and if you have an air fryer, it's even simpler!
Is there any food that can't be cooked in a shorter time (and with fewer dirty dishes) in an air fryer? I've made breakfast potatoes, yummy fried chicken style oyster mushrooms and even hashbrowns in my air fryer.
So, why not roast artichokes in the air fryer? I thought I'd give it a spin for you all, and the results were spectacular.
First of all, don't be intimidated by the prickly flower that is the artichoke! They're surprisingly easy to prepare and cook. Once you roast your own, you'll be firing up your air fryer regularly to enjoy the sweet and nutty leaves of the artichoke.
You only need four simple ingredients and an air fryer to make air fryer artichokes.
- Artichokes: There are two kinds of artichokes - Jerusalem and Globe. For this recipe, we'll be using globe artichokes. They're quite easy to tell apart. Globe artichokes are very ornamental, with beautiful flower like petals. Jerusalem artichokes are a tuber that resembles other roots such as ginger.
- Olive Oil: Choose the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can afford. The flavor really makes a difference in such a simple recipe.
- Lemon: Lemon serves a two-fold purpose in this recipe. Artichokes, much like potatoes, turn brown and oxidize once cut into. An acid, like lemon, immediately stops the oxidation process. Plus, the zesty flavor of lemon balances out the sweet and nutty flavor of the artichoke leaves.
- Salt And Pepper: Simple recipes with minimal ingredients require quality ingredients. Choose a good sea salt and pepper that comes from a grinder.
How To Make Air Fryer Roasted Artichokes
- If your air fryer requires preheating, preheat it to 350 F (175 C).
- Rinse the artichoke and remove the tough outer leaves. Using a serrated knife, cut the top third of the artichoke off.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut off the thorny top portion of the leaves.
- Cut off most of the artichokes stem, leaving a small bit intact.
- Now cut the artichoke in half lengthwise, and scoop out the fuzzy inner center with a spoon or a melon baller tool.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over both halves of the artichoke.
- Brush with olive oil and rub it in with your hands.
- Season with salt and pepper, and put both halves of the artichoke in your air fryer.
- Air fry for 12-15 minutes.
How Do You Eat Artichokes?
- Pull the petals off one at a time.
- Dip the petal into your favorite dip. See below for my artichoke dip suggestions.
- Pull the artichoke petal through your teeth to remove the soft inner pulpy portion.
- Discard the rest of the petal.
The Best Dips To Serve With Roasted Artichokes
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you don't. If you're roasting artichokes in the oven, parboiling them can save roasting time, but roasting artichokes in an air fryer doesn't require nearly as much time. So, you can skip the parboiling!
Yes, you can, but you'll need to increase the cooking time and to scrape out the fuzzy inner center once the artichoke is cooked.
Craving More Easy Vegan Appetizer Recipes?
Air Fryer Roasted Artichokes
- 1 globe artichoke
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 350° F (175° C).
- Rinse the artichoke and remove the tough outer leaves. Using a serrated knife, cut a third of the artichoke head off. Trim the thorny upper portion of the leaves off with kitchen scissors. Cut the stem off, leaving a small portion intact. Cut the artichoke in half lengthwise, and scoop the fuzzy center out with a spoon.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the artichokes and brush with olive oil. Rub the olive oil in with your hands. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the artichoke halves in the air fryer and roast for 12-15 minutes.
- It's not necessary to parboil globe artichokes before roasting them in the air fryer. Par boiling is only necessary to reduce cooking time in the oven.