Vegan cream cheese will satisfy those cravings for a creamy, cheesy ,spreadable bagel topping. It takes under 15 minutes hands-on time to make, and gets rave reviews from vegans and non-vegans alike!
This recipe is great as it is, but the thing I love the most about vegan cream cheese is how easy it is to customize.
Like spicy? Add a little paprika or chili pepper.
Like garlic? Add a few minced garlic cloves with some chives.
You can even throw in a handful of berries for a creamy, delicious breakfast treat! The possibilities are endless.
Once you make this recipe, your creative juices will start flowing, and I guarantee you'll be dreaming up your own delicious flavors.
Ingredients You'll Need To Make Vegan Cream Cheese:
- Cashews: I'm always astounded at how useful cashews are in making yummy, creamy vegan cheeses and sauces. They have a mildly sweet taste that's reminiscent of cheese so they really work. Plus, nut based cheeses are so much healthier than their dairy counterparts.
- Lemon Juice: Adds that zesty tang that brighten this cream cheese up. If you want really bright and zesty, you could add a teaspoon of lemon zest. Yum!
- Garlic Powder: I've only used ¼ teaspoon in this recipe, which will give a little bit of oomph to your vegan cream cheese, but if you love garlic, feel free to add more.
- Nutritional Yeast: You can find nutritional yeast at most well stocked grocery stores. Not only is it super healthy, it has a deep umami flavor that is key in many vegan recipes. If you can't find it this recipe will still work, but I highly recommend using it.
- Olive Oil: A few tablespoons of olive oil will make your cream cheese more spreadable. You could also use melted coconut oil.
- The first thing to do is to soak your cashews. Just put them in a bowl and cover with cold water. Ideally you should soak them overnight because the more water they soak up, the creamier your vegan cream cheese will be. But, if you're short on time you can use the quick soak method. Simply soak them in boiling water for one hour.
- Drain and wash the cashews and transfer them to a food processor or blender along with the other ingredients. blend until you achieve a smooth, creamy texture. The amount of time you'll need to blend will vary with different blenders. A powerful blender like a Vitamix will turn your cream cheese creamy in no time. A food processor will take a bit more time, and you'll need to scrape down the bowl a few times. If you find that the mixture is clumping up a bit, add water one tablespoon at a time. Be careful not to add too much water or your cream cheese will turn out runny.
Did You Make This Recipe?
You can, but I don't recommend it. Nutritional yeast is widely available, so you should be able to easily find it. If not, the recipe will still work, it just won't have the same depth of flavor. In a pinch, you could substitute a tablespoon of white miso paste.
If you keep it in an airtight container it should stay fresh for 4-7 days.
You can, but you'll lose the creamy texture. It will become more crumbly.
Craving More Easy Vegan Recipes?
How To Make Vegan Provolone By The Hidden Veggies
vegan cream cheese
- 1¼ cups cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put cashews in a bowl of water and soak overnight. For quick soak method, see recipe notes.
- Drain and wash the cashews. Transfer them to a blender or food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time to adjust the consistency.