These vegan apple turnovers are flaky, sweet and delicious. You don't need to make a complicated pastry dough; you only need one sheet of store bought puff pastry to make the perfect for breakfast or dessert!
I love working with puff pastry; it's one of those products that's accidentally vegan that gets a lot of use in our home. For instance these mini cherry galettes or this savory mushroom and barley pot pie. Puff pastry kicks everything up a notch, and thankfully it's so easy to use.
- Apples: There are many types of apples available at the grocery store today. Apple turnovers, like apple pie, require an apple that doesn't break down too much when exposed to high temperatures. Apples to avoid when making turnovers are Red Delicious and Gala. Good choices include Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Pinata, and Rome Beauty.
- Puff Pastry: You only need one sheet of ready made, store-bought puff pastry to make these vegan apple turnovers.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice serves two purposes. It balances out the sweetness of the apples, and it prevents the raw apples from oxidizing (turning brown).
- Sugar: You only need a small amount of sugar in this recipe. It also fine to use brown or cane sugar.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch absorbs excess liquid, keeping your apple turnovers from getting soggy.
- Cinnamon: What would any baked apple dessert be without a bit of cinnamon?
- Vegan Butter: We'll be using a small amount to saute the apples in.
- Salt: Salt enhances all the other flavors.
How To Make Vegan Apple Turnovers
- Preheat your oven to 425 F (220 C). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel, core and dice your apples. Put them in a bowl and squeeze the juice of one lemon over the pieces, turning them over with a spoon to make sure they are evenly coated in the lemon juice. Now add the cinnamon and sugar and give everything another good stir.
- Heat your vegan butter in a saute pan and saute your apples for three minutes.
- While the apples are sauteing, prepare your cornstarch slurry by mixing the cornstarch with the water in a small glass.
- Add the cornstarch slurry to the apples and saute for a further minute. The sauce will begin to thicken, which is what we want!
- Set aside your apple mixture to cool while you prepare your puff pastry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your puff pastry. Cut it into 6 equal sized squares.
- Once the apple mixture has cooled, drop 1-2 tablespoons of apples in the middle of each square. Fold the top left corner over to meet the bottom right corner, making a rectangle. Crimp the edges with a fork. Using a sharp knife, cut three slits in the top of your vegan apple turnover to allow the steam to escape.
- Transfer your apple turnovers to the baking sheet and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Optional: If you want to glaze the turnovers, combine ½ cup of powdered sugar with one tablespoon of water. Once the turnovers have cooled, drizzle it over the top.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Several things could cause this too happen....using the wrong kind of apple, filling the puff pastry while the apples are still hot, or not baking the turnovers for long enough.
Puff pastry apple turnovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days. Alternatively, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the toaster oven.
Yes, you can! Lay them out on a parchment lined baking tray and allow them to cool fully. Put them in the freezer and freeze for about 4 hours. Wrap them individually in foil and transfer them to a reusable freezer bag. They'll stay fresh for up to a month in the freezer. Reheat from frozen. Do not defrost.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Simple Vegan Lemon Blueberry Bread by The Carrot Underground
Vegan Apple Turnovers
- 2 cups apples diced
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel, core and chop apples and transfer them to a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a saute pan, heat the vegan butter over low heat. Saute the apples for 3 minutes.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by combining cornstarch with water. Add to the pan and saute for a further minute.
- Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into four squares.
- Add two tablespoons of filling to each square and fold the puff pastry over to make a triangle.
- Transfer the vegan apple pies to baking tray, and bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and water in a small cup. Drizzle over cooled pastries.