This vegan cornbread recipe is seriously the best! If you thought you couldn't make light and fluffy cornbread without eggs, think again! Even non-vegans won't know the difference.
Is there anything that says comfort food more than cornbread? Throw away your Jiffy cornbread mix, because I'm going to show you how to make the ultimate vegan cornbread with no eggs and no milk.
You won't believe how easy it is - it only takes a few simple ingredients and about 15 minutes hands-on time.
- Flour: I used all purpose white flour, but spelt flour and wholewheat flour would work as well. I haven't tried gluten free flour, but I think this recipe will work if you use a straight 1:1 ratio.
- Cornmeal: You can use cornmeal or polenta in this recipe. Polenta has a slightly coarser texture than cornmeal, so if you choose to use it the end result will be a bit more textured. If you are looking for a cornbread recipe in the UK, you will find that polenta is more readily available than cornmeal.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is what makes your vegan cornbread rise.
- Organic Sugar: You can use organic cane sugar or coconut sugar here. If you are from a part of the world that processes granulated sugar using bone char, be aware that it's not vegan friendly.
- Olive Oil: I like the depth of flavor that olive oil adds to this recipe. It also keeps your cornbread moist.
- Soy Milk: I always use soy milk for baked goods because it has the highest protein content, but if you want to use another plant based milk, that's perfectly ok!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: When apple cider vinegar mixes with a plant based milk you get vegan buttermilk!
- Salt: Salt makes all the flavors pop!
- Optional Add Ins : jalapenos, vegan cheese, corn, or blueberries.
How To Make Vegan Cornbread:
- First of all, preheat your oven to 200C (400 F). Grease an 8x8 inch pan.
- Next, put your plant-based milk into a small bowl and add your apple cider vinegar. Allow it to rest for about 5 minutes. The milk should split, which is how we get vegan buttermilk!
- Now add all your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and make sure everything is well combined.
- Finally, pour the milk/vinegar mix and the olive oil into the dry ingredients and mix just until everything is combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and pop it in the oven for 25 minutes. You'll know it's done when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, you can! Skillet cornbread is a bit crunchier. You don't need to change the recipe or cooking times.
I haven't tried it, but I think if you use a gluten free flour blend in a 1:1 ratio, the recipe should turn out fine.
It will stay fresh in the fridge for 5-6 days.
Absolutely! Vegan cornbread can be frozen for 2-3 months. Just be sure to defrost in the fridge before eating.
Vegan chili, vegan soups, lentil loaf or cornbread stuffing are all options!
Here's a few meals you could serve with cornbread:
The Best Vegan Cornbread - No Eggs
- 1½ cups soy milk or almond milk
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Mix the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. The milk should split.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the milk/vinegar mix and the olive oil to the dry ingredients and mix until all the flour has been absorbed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. The cornbread is done when a tothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.