Nando's macho peas are a delicious, creamy and spicy side dish that are a snap to make vegan. With one simple substitution you can enjoy this popular Nando's offering at home. And, they only take about five minutes to make!
Vegan Options At Nando's?
So, first things first - Nando's is not a restaurant most vegans frequent, including myself! They're famous for their peri peri chicken recipes. But, if like me, you've been invited by non-vegan friends, it's handy to know what your options are. Here's Nando's plant based options:
- Rainbow Salad Bowl: Warm spiced grains share a bowl with long stem broccoli, hummus, rainbow slaw, pickled golden carrots all sprinkled with seeds.
- The Great Imitator: This is a pea protein peri peri wrap sandwich. Essentially, it's a vegan imitation chicken wrap. It comes topped with Nando's own specialty vegan mayonnaise. The Great Imitator comes as a wrap, a pita sandwich or a burger - all vegan!
- Spiced Chickpea Burger: This is a chickpea and spinach burger, loaded with a special blend of Nando's spices and topped with chutney and red pickled onions.
- Spiced Grains And Butternut Squash: A bowl brimming with spiced grains, roasted butternut squash, green beans and dried fruit.
- Rainbow Slaw: A bowl of crunchy veg in a mustard dressing. A great Nando's vegan option.
- Mixed Leaf Salad: 4different kinds of salad leaves with tomatoes and cucumbers in a balsamic dressing.
- Spicy Rice: Nando's has a signature dish - and this is it!
- Corn On The Cob: Flame grilled to crispy perfection, this is a great Nando's vegan option.
- Long Stem Broccoli: If you're looking for a great side, look no further than broccoli in a lemon and garlic sauce.
- Garlic Bread: It's vegan!
- Chips: The chips are not fried in a meat based oil, so you're free to enjoy the range of Nando's chips.
- Sweet Potato Wedges With Garlic Perinaise Dip: Crispy sweet potato wedges that are served with Nando's own special vegan peri peri mayonnaise.
- Spicy Olives: These spicy olives are served with mushrooms and red peppers.
- Hummus With A Peri Peri Drizzle: This gorgeous hummus is served with a drizzle of peri-peri sauce and pita bread.
- Chilly Billy Lolly: Looking for dessert? Cool down with this apple and blackcurrant flavored lolly.
- Mango Gelado: Yummy frosty mango gelato.
And, now, I'm here to give you a "veganized" version of Nando's macho peas. So easy to make!
Ingredients You'll Need To Make Nando's Macho Peas
- Peas: Fresh, frozen or canned will do. I used frozen.
- Mint: A few sprigs of fresh mint are one of the secrets to Nando's macho peas. Substituting dried mint just won't work here.
- Parsley: Parsley has an earthy, peppery taste that makes a big contribution here.
- Salt: Salt makes all the other flavors pop.
- Chili Pepper Flakes: Brings out the heat! You can use more or less depending on your tolerance for spiciness.
- Vegan Butter + Olive Oil: The combination makes these peas extra creamy.
How To Make Nando's Macho Peas
Hint: It couldn't be simpler!
- Boil your peas for 3 minutes.
- Drain the peas, return them to the pan and stir in the olive oil, butter, mint, parsley, chili pepper flakes and salt.
What To Serve With Nando's Macho Peas
- Vegan Sausage Rolls
- Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Vegan Chicken Wings
- Vegan Chicken Nuggets With Chipotle Mayo
- Vegan Lentil Loaf (Vegan Meatloaf) - No Nuts
- The Best Veggie Pot Pie Recipe - Comforting and Creamy
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
You can store cooked peas in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Store them in a shallow, airtight container.
You can! Allow the peas to cool fully. Transfer them to a shallow, airtight container, and freeze for 8-9 months.
Craving More Easy Vegan Recipes?
Nando's Macho Peas Recipe
- 2½ cups peas fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon mint chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes *or to taste
- Boil the peas for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Drain the peas, return them to the pan and stir in the olive oil, butter, mint, parsley, chili pepper flakes and salt. *see note 1 for mushy peas.
- To make mushy peas, after you've drained the peas, return half of them to the pan and smash them with a fork. Stir in the remaining half of the peas.