These vegan chocolate orange crinkle cookies will satisfy any sweet tooth. They're soft and fudgy and full of festive dark chocolate and orange flavor. They're so delicious that no one will ever guess that they're dairy free!
This is my favorite vegan Christmas cookie recipe, and once you try them I'm sure they'll become your go-to Christmas cookie too.
I don't know about you, but the only cookies I bake are one's that are easy to prepare and don't require hours and hours of chilling. When I'm baking cookies, it means that I want a cookie now!
Most chocolate crinkle cookies require at least two hours chilling time - many require four or more. That's why I made this no chill recipe. It's just as good (dare I say, better) than the chilled version.
- Flour: All you need is an all purpose flour. If you'd like to make your cookies gluten free, you can substitute with your favorite gluten free flour.
- Vegetable Oil: Choose a neutral vegetable oil like canola or sunflower oil.
- Cocoa Powder: Choose Dutch processed cocoa powder for this recipe. It has a darker color than natural cocoa powder and is naturally more acidic.
- Vegan Yogurt: We'll be using vegan yogurt as our egg replacer in this recipe. You can use soy or coconut yogurt.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is what we're using here. If you live in an area where sugar is potentially processed with bone char, you'll need to use a vegan brand. This article covers all the brands of sugar that are guaranteed to be vegan.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is the primary leavening agent in this recipe.
- Baking Soda: The right combination of baking powder and baking soda is one of the secrets to getting perfect crinkles in your crinkle cookies.
- Salt: In cookies recipes, salt balances out sweetness . It also enhances all the other flavors.
- Vanilla Extract: Without vanilla cookies taste flat. Choose the best quality vanilla you can afford. It really makes a difference!
- Orange Extract: Orange extract is obviously what gives these cookies their festive chocolate and orange flavor. And is there any better combination than chocolate and orange?
How To Make Perfect Chocolate Orange Crinkle Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 325 F (165 F). Line your baking tray with parchment paper to prevent your cookies from sticking.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. If you don't have a sifter, simply use a sieve.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your vegan yogurt, vegetable oil, orange extract, vanilla extract and one and a half cups of granulated sugar. Using a stand or hand mixer, mix until everything is well combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until a stiff dough forms. No need to chill the dough.
- Roll the dough into golf ball size balls.
- Put your sugar toppings in two separate bowls. Roll the cookie dough balls in the granulated sugar first, and in the powdered sugar last.
- Transfer your cookies to the baking tray, leaving ample space between them.
- Gently press down on each cookie. Don't squash them all the way down...they will naturally spread in the oven. Just give them a gentle push with your fingers.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. They may appear not to not be fully cooked, but they will harden as they cool.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They'll stay fresh for several days.
Yes, you can! First of all, let them cool completely. Freeze them on a parchment lined baking tray for several hours. Then transfer them to a reusable freezer bag. They'll stay fresh for up to three months.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like
Vegan Chocolate Orange Crinkle Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups granulated vegan sugar
- ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy or coconut yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegan granulated sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325° F (165° C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together vegan yogurt, vegetable oil, vanilla, and orange extract and one and a half cups of granulated sugar. Using a stand or hand mixer, mix until everything is well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture and stir until just combined.
- Roll the bowl into golf ball sized balls.
- In two separate small bowls add your granulated sugar and powdered sugar.
- Roll first in the then granulated sugar, and then in the powdered sugar.
- Transfer to the baking tray, and gently press on each cookie dough ball with your finger, flattening the ball slightly. Do not squash them into a cookie shape. Bake for 12-13 minutes.