Vegan and Gluten Free Bahn Mi Bowl
Enjoy the much loved flavors of the Bahn Mi sandwich, but in a bowl. A tangy, spicy, sweet explosion of flavors that's vegan and gluten free.
For the Sriracha Cashew Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, raw (150 grams) soaked 4-6 hours or overnight
- ½ cup purified water (125 ml)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoon Sriracha Sauce
For The Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon
- 1 cup carrot (125 grams) julienned
- 1 cup daikon (125 grams) julienned
- 1 cup purified water (250 ml)
- ½ cup white wine vinegar (125 ml)
- ½ cup rice vinegar (125 ml)
- ½ cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Crispy Tofu
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 block tofu (300 grams) extra firm
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon sriracha sauce
For The Noodles and Garnish
- 2 blocks vermicelli noodles
- ½ English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 cup purple cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 handful coriander finely chopped
Method for Making Sriracha Cashew Cream Sauce:
Method for Making Quick Pickled Carrot and Daikon
Boil the water, vinegars, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil until the sugar is dissolved, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Julienne the carrots and daikon and put them in a sterile jar.
Pour the cooled brine over the carrots and daikon, close the jar and allow to rest for 2-3 hours.
Put the jar in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
Method for Making Crispy Sriracha Tofu:
Cut tofu into cubes.
Heat olive oil in a medium sized non-stick skillet
Pour cornstarch into a medium sized bowl and add tofu cubes, turning everything over with your hands to ensure the tofu is evenly coated.
Transfer tofu to frying pan and cook for 7-8 minutes or until crispy.
While the tofu is frying, combine the tamari, maple syrup and sriracha sauce in a small bowl.
Add the sauce to the crispy tofu and saute for a further two minutes.
Remove tofu from pan, and place on a paper towel to drain.
For the Noodles and Garnish
You can find a detailed recipe for Sriracha Cashew Cream Sauce here.
The detailed recipe for Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon is here.