These vegan bacon bits are crunchy and salty with a touch of sweetness. You can make them in under 15 minutes with textured vegetable protein (TVP) and a few basic pantry staples. The perfect easy topping for baked potatoes, salads and pasta!
Are Bacon Bits Vegan?
Many people wonder it bacon bits are vegan. Surprisingly, most store bought brands of bacon bits are accidentally vegan? Most of them are made with textured vegetable protein (TVP). However, store bought brands are full of unhealthy additives and artificial colors.
There's an easy solution: Make your own homemade vegan bacon bits. The TVP recipe below only takes about 15 minutes, and you'll be guaranteed to have additive free vegan bacon bits!
What Is TVP?
Textured vegetable protein, or TVP, is a meat substitute that's fat free, and high in protein and fiber. Sometimes it's called textured soy protein.
For some TVP recipes, such as vegan stews and casseroles, you rehydrate it by simmering it in water or other liquid ingredients.
For this recipe, you don't need to rehydrate your TVP. You simply mix up the sauce, add the TVP and crisp up your homemade bacon bits in the oven.
- TVP: Choose finely ground TVP, not TVP chunks.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder adds a subtle fresh garlic flavor with caramel undertones.
- Smoked Paprika: Smoked paprika adds a nice smoky flavor that's reminiscent of bacon. It also contributes a natural red color.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup adds natural sweetness.
- Tamari Sauce: You can use tamari or soy sauce here.
- Liquid Smoke: Liquid smoke is the magic in this recipe! It's what makes your vegan bacon bits have that smoky bacon flavor.
- Salt: I've included salt in this recipe, because bacon is naturally salty, but it's optional.
How To Make Vegan Bacon Bits
- Preheat your oven to 300 F (150 C). Line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bow mix together your tamari, maple syrup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, smoke paprika and salt.
- Stir in your TVP.
- Spread your vegan bacon bits out evenly on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, giving the tray a bit of a shake at the half way point.
- Allow your bacon bits to cool on the tray. They will crisp up as they cool. Enjoy!!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bacon bits made with bacon are of course not vegan. But, surprisingly, most store bought brands of bacon bits are vegan! Most are made with TVP.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like
Vegan Bacon Bits
- ¾ cup TVP
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt *optional
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Mix all the ingredients except the TVP in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the TVP and mix until coated.
- Spread the bacon bits out evenly on the prepared baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, turning once at the half way point.
- Allow the bacon bits to cool before stirring.