These vegan cookie dough truffles are delicious bite sized treats. They're egg and dairy free, and they're perfectly safe for the whole family to eat. Whip up a batch for your next cookie exchange or holiday party and watch how fast they disappear.
Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookie dough? We've probably all eaten more than a few spoonfuls while baking a batch of cookies! However, raw cookie dough can be unsafe. Traditionally chocolate chip cookie dough contains eggs and untreated raw flour, both of which can contain harmful bacteria.
These vegan cookie dough truffles are totally safe to eat as they contain no eggs, and I'll show you two simple ways to heat treat your flour.
- Flour: We'll be using all purpose flour that has been heat treated. It only takes a few minutes and heat treating your flour ensures that your vegan cookie dough truffles are safe to eat.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is what I used, but make sure that your granulated sugar is vegan if you live in an area where sugar is processed with bone char.
- Light Brown Sugar: Light brown sugar adds moisture and sweetness.
- Soy Milk: You can use any plant based milk you prefer including almond milk, coconut milk and oat milk.
- Vanilla: Vanilla lifts the flavor of all baked goods. Be sure to buy the best quality you can afford. The flavor really makes a difference.
- Salt: Salt makes all the flavors pop.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips: It's not difficult to find chocolate chips that are made without milk. Don't go for semi sweet - choose dark chocolate. For more information on how to choose a vegan brand of chocolate chips, check out this article, "Are Chocolate Chips Vegan?"
- Dark Chocolate: Choose a good quality dark chocolate that isn't made with milk.
How To Make Vegan Cookie Dough Truffles
- The first thing you'll need to do is to heat treat your flour. Flour, though it doesn't seem like it, is a raw product that can carry bacteria and pathogens. Even though we've all probably eaten raw cookie dough, it's best to error on the side of caution and heat treat your flour before you use it. This is a raw chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, so heat treating is a must. There are two basic methods, both of them simple.
- Microwave: Put the flour in a microwaveable dish. Heat it in 30 second intervals for 2 minutes, stirring between intervals.
- Oven: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake your flour at 65 F (74 C) for 5 minutes. Give the pan a good shake at the half way point.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, cream together your vegan butter, sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla and soy milk.
- Tip your heat treated flour and salt into the bowl. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Fold in your chocolate chips, and pop the bowl into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Once your cookie dough has chilled, roll one tablespoon sized bowl and place them on a parchment lined baking tray. Insert toothpicks into each ball. This will make it easier to dip your chocolate chip cookie dough balls into your melted chocolate.
- Put the tray in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Put your dark chocolate in a microwave safe dish and heat it at 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals until the chocolate is melted.
- Using the toothpick, dip your cookie dough balls into the melted chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off. Return them to the baking tray and remove the toothpick.
- Chill your vegan chocolate chip cookie dough truffles for an additional 10 minutes.
- That's it! Tuck in and enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
FAQs About This Recipe
Yes, this recipe contains no eggs, and I have given you simple instructions for heat treating the flour...so these are safe for the whole family to eat.
Store them in an airtight container in the fridge. They should stay fresh for two weeks.
Of course! Freeze them in an airtight container for up to two months.
Craving More Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes?
Vegan Cookie Dough Truffles
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour cooked (see notes)
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon soy milk or any plant based milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat your oven to 165 F (74 C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Pour your flour onto the baking tray and cover it with a sheet of parchment paper. Bake for 5 minutes. This will heat treat your flour and allow it to be used raw. Allow the flour to cool before using.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter, sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla and soy milk.
- Add your heat treated flour and salt and mix until a dough forms.
- Fold in your chocolate chips and chill the dough in the fridge for a half hour.
- Line a small baking tray with parchment paper. Roll the cookie dough into tablespoon sized balls and place them on the baking tray. Insert toothpicks into the cookie dough balls and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and repeat until the chocolate is melted.
- Using the toothpick inserted in the dough, dip the cookie dough balls into the melted chocolate, allowing any excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place the chocolate truffle back on the baking tray, remove the toothpick and refrigerate for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate is set.