This vegan apple cake recipe is one of my favorite fall dessert recipes. Made with apples, vegan yogurt, and cinnamon, it's moist, tender and delicious.
This vegan apple cake will convince you that you don't need eggs, milk and butter to make a tender cake with a delicate crumb. Plus, this cake only requires one bowl. It's that simple!
Lightly spiced with cinnamon and filled with juicy apples, this cake is the perfect dessert, or decadent breakfast. It would be perfect with a big scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream, or drizzled with a bit of caramel sauce.
How To Make Vegan Apple Cake
- Heat your oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a springform cake tin and line it with parchment paper.
- Sift your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add your soy milk, lemon juice, vegan yogurt, apple sauce and vegetable oil. Mix until there are no lumps and all the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
- Peel and finely chop one apple and gently fold it into the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin.
- Peel the remaining two apples and cut them into thin wedges. Arrange them in a circular pattern, overlapping them slightly until the cake is covered in fresh apples.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with with a bit of caster sugar and bake it in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Your cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least one hour before you take it out of the pan.
- I always recommend using a digital scale for baking, especially for vegan baking. Cups are just not accurate enough. I've provided you with both cups and metric measurements in the recipe card below. I also have an easy cup to grams downloadable graphic you can print and keep as a handy reference on your fridge.
- It's tempting not to sift your dry ingredients, but don't skip this step. Sifting ensures that your leavening agents (baking powder and baking soda) are evenly distributed throughout the cake.
- Be sure to let your cake cool fully in the pan. This is essential! If you release it from the pan too soon, it's likely to not hold together.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
If You Like This Recipe, You Might Also Like
Vegan Apple Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (for topping) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup soy milk *or any plant based milk you prefer
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup vegan yogurt
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large apples peeled
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180 C). Grease an 8 inch cake tin ( a spring form pan is best). Line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the soy milk, lemon juice, yogurt, apple sauce and vegetable oil and mix until no lumps remain.
- Peel and finely chop one apple and fold the pieces into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the cake tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Peel and cut the remaining two apples into wedges. Arrange them in an overlapping circular pattern over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Allow the cake to fully cool before removing it from the pan.