This jackfruit burger is fully of tangy, sweet BBQ flavor and topped with spicy guacamole.
Sometimes only a burger will do. Am I right? This pulled BBQ jackfruit burger is arguably better than it's non-vegan pulled pork counterpart.
You might be wondering, "what is jackfruit, and why is it such a popular meat substitute?" Jackfruit is a large tropical fruit that's grown in Asia, Africa and South American. Under its bumpy skin, jackfruit has a stringy, meaty interior that's similar to the texture of pulled pork. Jackfruit's ability to quickly absorb other flavors has made it a popular meat substitute in tacos, nachos, curries and burgers (like this one!)
- BBQ Sauce: You can use your favorite store bought BBQ sauce. Or, make my easy vegan BBQ sauce that you'll find on the recipe card below.
- Olive Oil: We will be using a small amount to saute the onions and jackfruit in before adding the BBQ sauce.
- Red Onion: Red onion is the perfect addition to anything with BBQ sauce, and a jackfruit burger is no exception! The deep, sweet caramel flavor of sauteed red onions really give this recipe an added flavor dimension.
- Jackfruit: Choose young, unripe jackfruit, which most grocery stores stock in cans or packets. Discard the inner seeds, but there's no need to discard the hard outer part of the fruit. Simply cut it into smaller pieces along with the part of the jackfruit that shreds easily.
- Avocado: We'll be making a simple, spicy guacamole. So, be sure to get an avocado that's nice and ripe.
- Lime Juice: Lime juice is needed to keep the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown. Plus, it's what gives this guacamole it's zesty, tangy taste.
- Jalapeno Chili Pepper: Chili pepper gives this burger a bit of heat. If you don't like spicy foods, feel free to omit it.
- Coriander/Cilantro: The fresh, almost citrus flavor of cilantro (or coriander depending on where you live), is the classic complement to creamy avocado.
- Salt: Salt naturally enhances all the other flavors.
How To Make A Jackfruit Burger
- If you're making your own BBQ sauce, make that first. Simply combine all the ingredients listed on the recipe card below in a small bowl. If you're using store bought BBQ sauce, check that it's vegan, and you're good to go.
- Drain and rinse your jackfruit. Discard the hard inner seeds and shred the rest (even the hard outer bits!) with your hands or two forks.
- Heat your olive oil in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Saute your red onion and jackfruit for 5 minutes.
- Now pour in your BBQ sauce and add a ½ cup of water. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the pulled BBQ jackfruit for 15 minutes.
- While the BBQ jackfruit is simmering away, make your guacamole. In a medium sized bowl, smash the flesh of your two avocados . Squeeze the juice of your lime in and mix well. Now add your chopped coriander and minced jalapeno chili pepper (if using).
- Toast your burger bun lightly.
- Optional garnishes include tomatoes, red onion and lettuce. If you want to add these to your burger, go ahead and chop them now.
- Assemble your jackfruit burger by starting with the jackfruit. If you're adding tomato and lettuce, you can add that now, and top it all of with a big scoop of spicy guacamole.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Jackfruit is a healthy addition to your vegan diet. It's loaded with vitamins and minerals, and unlike pulled pork, it's fat free.
I would recommend making your pulled BBQ jackfruit ahead of time , and storing that in fridge. It will keep for about five days in an airtight container. Then, you can pull it out, and assemble the rest of the burger.
You can make the BBQ jackfruit ahead of time and store that in the freezer. It freezes very well. It should stay fresh in the freezer for up to three months. Defrost it in the fridge, reheat it in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop, and assemble your burger.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like
Best Country Vegan Potato Salad By Eat-Plant Based
Jackfruit Burger With Guacamole
For The BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke *or tamari sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper
For The Guacamole
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno chili pepper minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander chopped
For The Jackfruit Burger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 20 oz can jackfruit drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- 4 burger buns lightly toasted
- red onion
- Make the BBQ sauce by mixing together all the BBQ sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Prepare it by ripping it apart with your hand (or two forks). Discard the hard inner core.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan, and add the jackfruit and red onion.Season with salt. Saute for 5 minutes. Add and BBQ sauce and ½ cup of water and lower the heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make your guacamole by smashing the flesh of the avocados in a medium sized bowl. Squeeze the juice of one lime in, and add the chopped jalapeno peppers and coriander. Mix well
- Lightly toast the burger buns.
- Assemble the burgers by dividing the BBQ jackfruit amongst the four buns. Layer with guacamole and optional garnishes