These buffalo cauliflower wings will be loved by vegans and non vegans alike. They're crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They'll make the perfect addition to your game day or BBQ menu.
Buffalo cauliflower wings are so addictive. Once you make them, they'll quickly become a part of your regular rotation. I've made these for many get-togethers with friends, and everyone loves them. Trust me, even omnivores will rave about these cauli wings! They're perfect for game day, BBQs or potlucks, or even for a movie night with friends.
Ok, so you won't convince anyone that these are chicken wings, but they're so packed with flavor, that they'll win everyone over anyhow. Plus, they're so much lighter than chicken wings. And, this buffalo cauliflower wing recipe is baked, not fried, so they're a healthy, guilt free snack.
Ingredients In Buffalo Cauli Wings
- Cauliflower: Naturally... Cauliflower love is everywhere these days, and vegan cauliflower wings are what kicked the whole trend off. And, with good reason!
- Flour: I used all purpose flour, but if you need this recipe to be gluten free, feel free to your favorite gluten free flour.
- Soy Milk: I use soy milk for my cauliflower bites because it has the highest protein content of all the plant based milks, but feel free to use your favorite plant based milk. Almond milk and oat milk would also work.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Plant based milk plus apple cider vinegar equals vegan buttermilk!
- Olive Oil: A touch of olive oil makes these wings extra crispy.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder adds a nice garlicky taste without being as overpowering as raw garlic.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder just has such a unique flavor. There's a reason you find it in so many vegan recipes.
- Paprika: Paprika adds a smoky, spicy note.
- Salt: Salt makes all the flavors shine!
- Hot Sauce: I use Frank's Hot Sauce because it's your bare bones, no frills hot sauce, which is the perfect base for making buffalo sauce.
- Vegan Butter: Vegan butter plus hot sauce equals buffalo sauce! See how easy that is?
How To Make Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- The first step is to make your vegan buttermilk. Combine your soy milk with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside. The soy milk will split - this is normal. The end result will be a thicker milk - vegan buttermilk!
- Preheat your oven to 425°C (220° F), and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large, shallow bowl mix together your flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt.
- Divide your cauliflower into florets and place them in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the top and toss the cauliflower bites to ensure that they're evenly coated in the oil.
- Now, dredge them in the flour mixture. Set your cauliflower wings aside on a clean plate.
- Pour your vegan buttermilk into your flour and stir until a thick batter forms. Dredge your cauliflower bites in the batter and transfer them to the prepared baking tray.
- Bake them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping them at the half way point.
- While your cauliflower wings are baking, starting making your vegan buffalo sauce. All you need to do is to combine your hot sauce with melted vegan butter, and voila!
- Remove the cauliflower wings from the oven, and put them in a large mixing bowl. Pour your buffalo hot sauce over the top and toss to ensure they are all coated in sauce.
- Transfer them to a serving plate, and serve with vegan ranch dressing and celery sticks!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
No, this recipe uses all purpose flour. If you want to make them koto friendly, swap the all purpose flour for almond flour.
Yes, you can. I've made these in my air fryer. You need to reduce the cooking time to 15 minutes, and give them a couple of good shakes at the half way point. You might need to cook the cauliflower wings in batches, depending on how big your air fryer is. Spread them out evenly, don't heap them on top of each other.
Yes, just make sure they are thawed before you use them.
You can keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Easy Vegan Slow Cooker White Bean Chili by Easy Chickpeasy
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
For The Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 4 tablespoon melted vegan butter (such as Franks)
- Preheat the oven to 425°C (220° F). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and salt in a large bowl.
- Put the cauliflower in a bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the florets. Mix until all the florets are coated in olive oil.
- Dredge the cauliflower florets in the flour mixture and set aside on a plate.
- Add the soy milk/apple cider vinegar mix to the bowl with the remaining flour. Stir until a batter forms.
- Dredge cauliflower in batter until evenly coated. Transfer to the baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning them over at the half way point.
- Mix together the hot sauce and melted butter in a large bowl. Toss the cauliflower florets in the the sauce and serve!