Full of dark chocolate chips and sweet bananas, this vegan chocolate chip banana bread is the ultimate treat. It's oozing with moist chocolatey goodness. I guarantee you, it will disappear in seconds!
Banana bread has to be the ultimate comfort food. Whoever said that you need dairy products to make this delectable treat has never had a piece (or two) of vegan chocolate chip banana bread! Even non-vegans have asked me for this recipe. No one will ever guess that it's eggless and dairy free.
Ingredients in Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Plant Based Milk: I like to use soy milk in baking because it has the highest protein content, but feel free to use any plant based milk that you prefer. Almond milk and oat milk both work.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar, when combined with a plant based milk, replaces eggs in vegan baking. It forces the milk to split, creating a vegan buttermilk.
- Flour: I've used all purpose flour in this recipe, but if you would like a gluten free banana bread, you could use a gluten free blend in a 1:1 ratio.
- Sugar: Use white sugar to achieve the best results. If you use brown sugar, as many recipes call for, you'll produce a much heavier loaf.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is the leavening agent in this chocolate chip banana bread. That means it's what gives this bread it's nice domed effect.
- Salt: Salt is a necessary ingredient for making all the flavors pop in any recipe.
- Bananas: Your bananas have to be very ripe to get the best results. A ripe banana is very dark and mushy.
- Coconut Oil: Choose an unrefined coconut oil.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is in almost all baking recipes for a reason - it keeps baked goods from tasting "flat." I always recommend using a quality vanilla extract - it really makes a big difference.
- Chocolate Chips: It's easy to find dairy free chocolate chips, which is what you'll need here. The dark chocolate also adds such a lovely, rich taste.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the sides.
- Combine your plant based milk with your apple cider vinegar and set it aside. It will split, which is what we want!
- Combine your flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Make sure that you mix the dry ingredients well.
- In a separate bowl mash your bananas with a fork.
- Now add your plant based milk/vinegar mixture, vanilla and melted coconut oil to the mashed bananas and stir until all the wet ingredients are well combined.
- Add you wet ingredients into the bowl with your dry ingredients and stir gently. Be careful not to over mix, or your banana bread will come out tough and chewy.
- Fold in your chocolate chips, reserving a handful to scatter over the top.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and scatter the remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Finally allow your vegan chocolate chip banana bread to cool in the pan before removing and slicing.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Coat your chocolate chips in a bit of flour before stirring them in.
Yes, but choose an oil with a neutral flavor.
If you want this recipe to be sugar free, I'd suggest using granulated monk fruit sugar.
Absolutely! Let the loaf cool completely and either freeze the slices separately in reusable freezer bags, or freeze the loaf whole.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like These Dairy Free Recipes:
No Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars By Veggie Chick
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large bananas *very ripe
- ¼ cup unrefined coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on each side to create "handles" that will allow you to lift the bread from the pan.
- Combine the plant based based with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash your bananas with a fork. Add the plant based milk mixture, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips, reserving a handful for scattering over the top of the chocolate chip banana bread.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Scatter remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan completely before removing.