This pan fried breakfast potatoes recipe is my new favorite vegan breakfast! The potatoes are tossed in a flavorful mix of kimchi and sesame oil and browned to crispy perfection.
Do you have a jar of kimchi in your fridge or cupboard that you haven't found a way to use? If so, read on for breakfast perfection.
If you've never tried kimchi, this is the perfect time to get yourself a jar of this fermented yumminess.
What is Kimchi?
Kimchi is a traditional Korean dish made from fermented cabbage. It usually contains chili peppers, ginger, and garlic. It has a sour, spicy taste with an umami funk that's so unique it's hard to describe.
In a addition to being crazy delicious, kimchi is also loaded with nutrients. Because it's fermented, it's a probiotic powerhouse. Plus, it's loaded with vitamins and minerals.
If you've never tried kimchi, you have to get yourself a jar. There are so many dishes you can add it to, and it completely transforms them. These pan fried breakfast potatoes are the perfect example.
Ingredients in Pan Fried Breakfast Potatoes With Kimchi
- Potatoes: Choose fingerling potatoes (or baby potatoes). If you decide to use a normal baking potato, that's fine, but you'll need to adjust the boiling time.
- Kimchi: You'll need a jar of kimchi for this recipe. Check out this article on the best taste tested brands.
- Sesame Seeds: You can use white or black seeds here. Both are perfect toppings for pan fried breakfast potatoes.
- Soy Or Tamari Sauce: Salty and sweet, soy sauce is the perfect partner to kimchi.
- Sesame Oil: I like to use toasted sesame oil. It has a rich, nutty dish that really works with this dish.
- Scallions / Spring Onions: Scallions add a fresh, grassy crunch.
- In a medium sized sauce pan or pot, boil your potatoes for 10 minutes. There's no need to peel them.
- Drain your potatoes and set them aside to cool.
- Heat half of the sesame oil in a saute pan, and saute your kimchi for three minutes.
- Cut your potatoes in half.
- Now add the potatoes along with the remaining sesame oil to the pan. Pan fry until your potatoes are crispy and golden.
- Add your soy sauce (or tamari sauce for gluten free) and kimchi juice to the pan and saute for a further three minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan and put them in your serving dish. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
- Tuck in and enjoy this perfect breakfast!
Did You Make This Recipe?
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Pan Fried Breakfast Potatoes With Kimchi
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 1 cup kimchi
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce *or tamari sauce for gluten free
- 2 tablespoon kimchi juice
- ¾ tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 scallions finely chopped for garnish
- In a medium sized sauce pan, boil potatoes for 10 minutes, or until tender enough to be pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
- Heat one tablespoon of the sesame seed oil in a saute pan. Saute the kimchi (without the juice) for three minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half and add them to the pan with the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Give everything a good stir and saute until the potatoes begin to get crispy and golden.
- Add the soy sauce and kimchi juice and saute for a further three minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.