This sun dried tomato pasta is so rich and creamy you won't believe it's vegan. It's made by blending sun dried tomatoes into a cashew cream sauce. Because the sundried tomatoes are actually blended into the pasta sauce, you get a nice hit of tangy tomatoes. Paired with an ultra creamy sauce, the flavor combination is unbelievable.
Pasta is one of my favorite comfort foods. There's nothing cozier than a big pot of creamy, luscious pasta. And this recipe ticks all the right comfort food boxes.
Most sun dried tomato pastas are made by chopping up sun dried tomatoes and adding them to a sauce. And they taste great, but if you actually blend those tangy sundried tomatoes into the creamy sauce, it kicks the whole dish up a notch.
The other thing I like about this recipe is that it's easy to put together. It only requires a blender to make your sauce, and a pot to cook your pasta in. Minimal work and maximum output! Follow a few simple steps, and in under 15 minutes you'll be enjoy a warm plate of the most wonderful sun dried tomato pasta.
- The first step is to soak your cashews. Ideally you should soak them overnight. If you're stuck for time, you can use the quick soak method. Simply soak the cashews in hot, boiled water for one hour.
- Put your pasta on to boil. Chop your sundried tomatoes into bite size pieces.
- While your pasta is cooking add your cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, 60 grams (1 cup) of sun dried tomatoes, and soya milk to a blender. Blend for 4-5 minutes. Check the consistency of your sauce. If it's too thick, add a little more soya milk. Transfer the sauce to a pan and heat it through for a few minutes. Be sure to keep the heat low.
- Next, drain your pasta and return it the pan. Pour the sauce over your pasta and add the remaining 30 grams (½ cup) of sundried tomatoes. Season to taste and sprinkle with a good handful of fresh basil.
*The full recipe with measurements is below.
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Variations:
- Stir in some spinach, rocket (arugula), rocket or kale for an extra nutritional boost.
- Add a few cloves of fresh garlic and omit the garlic powder for a more assertive garlicky sauce.
- Add a tablespoon of tomato paste to your creamy sauce. You'll get a nice boost of tomato flavor and deeper red color.
- Swap the fusilli pasta for your favorite pasta shape. Penne or linguine would work well.
- Add in some fresh cherry tomatoes or some roasted cauliflower.
- Top it all off with a sprinkle of vegan cheese.
It will keep fresh in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
No, but you can easily make it gluten free by simply using gluten free pasta. The sauce is naturally gluten free.
Yes, you can. The recipe will still work. I recommend adding in a tablespoon of tomato puree.
Did You Make This Recipe?
More Yummy Vegan Dinner Ideas:
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soups By Flash in the Pans
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- 1½ cups cashews
- 3 cups pasta of your choice
- 1½ cups sun dried tomatoes divided
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups soya milk
- Soak the cashews overnight. For a quick soak method, see recipe notes.
- Chop the sun dried tomatoes into bite size pieces.
- Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, 60 grams ( 1 cup) of the sun dried tomatoes and soya milk to a blender. Blend for 4-5 minutes, or until the sauce is creamy. Adjust the consistency by adding soya milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Heat the sauce through in a saute pan for 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- Drain the pasta, return it to the pan. Stir in the sauce and the remaining 30 grams of chopped sun dried tomatoes. Season to taste.
- Serve in pasta bowls, sprinkled with fresh basil.
- Quick Soak Method: Soak cashews for one hour in boiled water.