This vegan taco bowl is the ultimate loaded Southwestern bowl. It's filled with chipotle black beans and vibrant veggies. Plus, it's topped with a creamy avocado sauce. If ever a taco bowl was the answer to all your Tex Mex cravings, this is it!
Mexican food is one of the few cuisines that's popular all over the world. And with good reason; It's fresh, vibrant and layered with bold flavors. And, it's healthy!
Famed for its generous use of fresh veggies and legumes, most Mexican dishes can easily be "veganized."
This vegan taco bowl is the perfect example of how delicious vegan Mexican food can be!
Besides, digging into a flavor packed taco bowl feels festive and fun, like a sunny day on Playa Del Carmen with a margarita in your hand. And who doesn't love that?
Ingredients in Your Vegan Taco Bowl:
- Quinoa: Quinoa takes the place of traditional rice for a healthier, gluten free twist on a traditional taco. We'll be loading it with lime and cilantro for some Mexican flair.
- Lime: Zesty, zingy, fresh....limes pretty much sum of what Mexican food is all about.
- Cilantro (Coriander): Tangy, lemony cilantro adds another zesty note to your taco bowl.
- Black Beans: Black beans are a staple in Mexican cuisine. They're a great source of protein, and are the perfect vehicle for smoky chipotle sauce.
- Garlic: Spicy, but also warm, garlic stretches the other flavors in this bowl.
- Maple Syrup: A touch of sweetness is the perfect foil for sour vinegar and spicy chipotle.
- Vinegar: The competing tastes of maple syrup, vinegar and chipotle paste give this dish a lively, complex flavor.
- Chipotle Paste: Smoky, sweet and slightly tart, chipotle sauce gives your black beans authentic Mexican flair.
How To Make The Perfect Vegan Taco Bowl
- Wash and drain your quinoa, and put in a pan with the water. Boil it for about 10 minutes, or until all the water has boiled off. Remove the pan from the hear and put a tea towel over the top to allow the quinoa to steam. After 10 minutes, stir in the lime juice and zest and chopped cilantro.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat your olive in a saute pan and fry the red onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar, maple syrup and chipotle paste and stir until everything is well combined. Now, add your black beans and stir gently until they're coated in the chipotle sauce. Allow the beans to heat through by simmering for a few minutes.
- Put your yogurt, avocado, lime juice and cilantro in a blender and blend until you have a smooth sauce. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency you like.
- Add the quinoa to bowl and layer the chipotle, cherry tomatoes, and sweet corn. Drizzle with avocado crema and enjoy!
Veggie Taco Bowl Variations
One of the great thing about a deconstructed taco bowl, is that you can add whatever you fancy. Go ahead, make it your own! Here's a few suggestions:
- Swap the quinoa out for rice, bulgar wheat or freekah. This bowl will be yummy no matter what grain you use.
- Spice it up, by adding a dash of hot sauce or a few chili peppers.
- Pile on some vegan cheese.
- Peppers? Red, orange or green would all work well.
- Pickled onions would add a nice tangy twang.
- Try my white refried beans or my pineapple salsa.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Download My Free Vegan Grocery List
Ready to getting your next shopping trip organized? I've put together a printable vegan shopping list that will help beginner vegans navigate the grocery store aisles.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like:
SOOO Many awesome vegan Mexican recipes by Dora's Table
Vegan Taco Bowl
Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 lime zest and juice
- ½ cup cilantro (coriander)
Chipotle Black Beans
- 1 can black beans drained and washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
Vegan Taco Bowl
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- ½ cup soy yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lime (juice only)
- ½ cup cilantro (coriander) finely chopped
For the Lime, Cilantro Quinoa
- Prepare the Quinoa according to the packet instructions. See the cooking notes below for a link to my tutorial on how to cook quinoa.
- When the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the lime juice, zest and cilantro.
For The Chipotle Black Beans
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Add the garlic and saute for one minute. Add the beans, vinegar, maple syrup and chipotle sauce. Saute for two minutes.
For The Avocado Crema
- In a blender combine all the avocado crema ingredients and blend until smooth. Adjust the consistency by adding water 1 tablespoon at a time.
Assemble The Bowl
- Put the quinoa in the bottom of each bowl, add the chipotle black beans and all the chopped veg. Drizzle with avocado crema.