Roasted sweet potato salad is a great make ahead dish that's perfect for your Christmas or Thanksgiving feast. Or, do as I do , and enjoy it as a hearty lunch or dinner side dish.
There's something so moreish about roasted sweet potatoes and cauliflower. It's one of my favorite food pairings!
Crispy sweet potatoes and caramelized cauliflower all tossed in a simple Dijon vinaigrette is a crowd pleasing mixture of textures and tastes. Throw in some toasted pecans and some peppery rocket (that's arugula for non- Brits), and you have a salad that earns it's spot on your regular rotation.
One of the things that has me continually returning to this salad is how easy it is to make. It literally takes 5 minutes hands on time. Then, all you need to do it throw it in the fridge until you're ready to serve it. In fact, it gets even more delicious as it chills and all the lovely flavors mingle and intensify.
How To Make Sweet Potato Salad:
- Preheat your oven to 220 C (430 F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Cut your sweet potatoes into wedges (no need to peel them), and your cauliflower into florets. Put them in a bowl and drizzle with with 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper, and shake the bowl up and down, tossing the veg around in the oil to coat.
- Lay the sweet potato and cauliflower evenly out on the baking tray, and put them in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes. Flip everything over at the halfway point and rotate the pan.
- While the veg is roasting, dry fry your pecans in a heavy-bottomed pan until they release their fragrance.
- Mix your dressing ingredients together in a small jug.
- Let the veg cool off and then assemble your salad, mixing in the pecans and rocket.
- Put your dressing on the salad when you're ready to serve it. I hope you enjoy this lovely sweet potato salad as much as I do!
- Season your sweet potatoes with a bit of smoked paprika or chipotle powder for a Southwestern vibe.
- Crank up the heat by adding a sprinkling of chili flakes to your assembled salad.
- Swap the vinaigrette dressing for my lemony tahini sauce.
- Ditch the nuts and replace them with hemp and pumpkin seeds.
- Massaged kale makes a great substitute for peppery rocket.
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- 680 grams sweet potatoes ( 1 ½ pounds) cut into wedges
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pecans toasted
- 50 grams (2 ½ cups) rocket (arugula)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 220 C (430 F). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1 ½ cm wedges (½ inch). Cut cauliflower into florets. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to the baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once at the halfway point.
- Make the dressing by combining 2 tablespoon of olive oil with the vinegar, Dijon mustard and maple syrup.
- Toast the pecans in a dry skillet, tossing them around until they release their fragrance.
- In a large bowl, mix together the roasted sweet potatoes and cauliflower with the pecans and rocket (arugula) . Drizzle with the dressing and serve.