Sheet pan gnocchi with roasted vegetables is the perfect weeknight go-to dinner. Toss everything in spices and olive oil, put it all on a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes. And voila, dinner is served! There's zero fuss and minimal cleanup. What could be better?
I love gnocchi. It's a prime example of why Italian food is so highly regarded. If you're a pasta lover (and who isn't?) expand your pallet to include gnocchi, and you won't be disappointed.
You'll fall in love with this simple dumpling that's light, airy, fluffy and partners so well with roasted vegetables.
What Is Gnocchi Exactly?
Gnocchi is actually a dumpling, not a pasta. Made of potato and flour, and traditionally boiled, it's frequently found adorned with the same sauces that we love on pasta.
Different areas of Italy tend to serve gnocchi with different sauces. In Lombardy you'll find it dressed in a creamy butter sauce, while in Verona marinara rules the day. And, don't get me wrong, it's delicious this way, but, there's so much more to gnocchi!
Sheet pan gnocchi is the perfect example of how versatile this humble dumpling can be. Roasting it with veg makes turns it crispy on the outside with a chewy interior.
- Gnocchi: The first thing to do is to check the ingredients on the back of the package to make sure that you're buying vegan gnocchi. Some gnocchi contains milk powder, but it's not that hard to find a brand that doesn't.
- Tomatoes: Use a cherry or plum tomato. They're extra sweet, and when they roast they create a ready-made marinara sauce which is what makes this sheet pan dinner so tasty!
- Peppers: Use orange, red or yellow peppers. They caramelize nicely when roasted, and contribute a nice smoky flavor to your sauce.
- Red onion: Less assertive than yellow onions, red onions are mellow enough to be the perfect partner to roasted tomatoes and peppers.
- Garlic: Don't peel the garlic. We'll be slipping them out of their skins after roasting and mixing them with lemon juice for a fresh, zesty sauce.
- Olive Oil: As always, I recommend a nice extra-virgin olive oil.
- Basil: Spicy, floral basil is essential here. Grab a handful and tear it apart and stir it in at the end. Yummy!
- Salt and Pepper: Seasoning is essential to this recipe. It really brings out all the simple flavors. Choose sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
How To Make Sheet Pan Gnocchi:
It couldn't be easier to make this recipe....
- Preheat your oven to 220C (425 F). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Throw your gnocchi, chopped veg and garlic into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Spread everything out evenly on a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes, flipping everything once halfway through.
- Pick the garlic cloves out, and slide them out of their skins. Smash them in a small bowl with the back of a fork, and squeeze a bit of lemon juice in.
- Put your sheet pan gnocchi into a bowl, stir in the garlic/lemon juice and a good handful of basil roughly torn apart.
- Garnish with vegan parmesan cheese (optional). Enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Classic Vegan Lasagna By Holy Cow Vegan
Sheet Pan Gnocchi - 30 Minute Dinner
- 400 grams gnocchi
- 325 grams plum tomatoes cut in half
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- ½ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- handful fresh basil roughly torn
- 4 garlic cloves skins on
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 220 C (425 F). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the gnocchi, veg, and garlic in a medium sized bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and few grinds of black pepper.
- Spread the gnocchi and veg out evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping everything halfway through.
- Pick the garlic out and slide them out their skins. In a small bowl, smash them with the back of a fork. Squeeze the lemon juice into the bowl.
- Transfer the sheet pan gnocchi to a bowl, stir in the garlic/lemon sauce and roughly torn basil. Season to taste.