Learn how to make vegan cheese sauce that can be used on pasta, potatoes, nachos...you name it! It's unique, creamy and so delicious that even non vegans will ask for seconds.
Ask anyone the thing they'd miss the most if they went vegan, and they'll say cheese! And, with good reason...who doesn't love the oozey melting topping that tops everything from enchiladas to pasta? But, now you can enjoy the same umami cheesy flavor and oozey texture with my delicious vegan cashew cheese sauce.
I keep a container of this vegan cheese sauce in my fridge at all times. It's so versatile that you can make a delicious meal with it on the fly. Or, if you prefer, just enjoy it solo on toast.
- Cashews: You'll need raw, unsalted cashews to make vegan cheese sauce. Ideally you should soak them overnight. If you're pressed for time, they can be soaked for two hours, but you'll need a high powered blender like a Vitamix to get the creamy consistency we're after.
- Lemon Juice: You need 2 tablespoons, which is equivalent to the juice of one lemon.
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast adds that umami, cheesy flavor that makes vegan cashew cheese sauce so yummy. Don't skip it!
- Garlic Powder: For that intense, garlickly taste.
- Onion Powder: This is one spice that is so great in dips and dressings!
- Tumeric: The super spice of it's time - here we're using it for the intense color it's so good at providing.
- English Mustard: Adds a tangy background twang that's super yummy.
- Cayenne Pepper: Enough to enjoy that subtle kick only cayenne can supply, without verging into spicy territory. If you like spicy, try my Sriracha Cashew Cream Sauce.
- Salt: I like flaky sea salt here, but any salt will enhance the flavors.
How To Make Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce:
Time needed: 5 minutes.
- Soak and rinse your cashews.
For the best results soak your cashews overnight. If you have a high powered blender you can get away with soaking them for two hours. Drain and rinse them well.
- Add all the ingredients to the blender and pulse.
That's it! All you need to do is dump everything into the blender and blend until your vegan cheese is smooth and creamy. Adjust the consistency by adding more almond milk.
Variations on Vegan Cheese:
***Here's a few creative ideas to get you started on making your own inspired versions of vegan cheese sauce...
- Add roasted red peppers and omit the turmeric and mustard.
- Add Sriracha sauce! Have a look at my special Sriracha Cashew Cream Sauce recipe.
- Add miso and ginger for a Japanese salad dressing. Omit turmeric, mustard ,onion powder and cayenne pepper.
- Add raw garlic (omit the powdered garlic), lime juice and coriander. Omit lemon juice, turmeric, onion powder, mustard and nutritional yeast for a Mexican inspired sauce.
If You Liked Vegan Cheese Sauce, You Might Also Like:
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 200 grams (1 ¼ cups) raw, unsalted cashews soaked overnight *see notes
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 175 ml (¾ cup) almond milk *or any other plant-based milk (or water)
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon English mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Soak the cashews overnight, or, if you have a high powered blender, for only two hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Add the cashews and the rest of the ingredients to the blender and pulse until the vegan cheese sauce is smooth and creamy. Add more almond milk to thin as desired.