This vegan blueberry donut recipe makes the most amazing treat! Baked, and not fried as most donuts are, they’re healthier and just as tasty.
There’s something so fun about this classic confection. I mean, muffins are great, but how fun is a donut? Unfortunately, typical donuts are loaded with fats and sugar. Have you ever wished there was a healthier donut that’s suitable for vegans? That’s where my baked vegan blueberry donuts recipe comes in .
I’ve tested this recipe many times, aiming for the perfect balance between fluffy and dense, just like the perfect donut should be. Blueberries keep your donut soft and moist and the blueberry glaze adds a fun pop of color that big and small kids alike will enjoy.
Ingredients in Vegan Blueberry Donuts:
***You will need a donut pan. They are readily available online and are worth the small investment.
- Flour: Use a basic all purpose flour…I haven’t tested gluten free flours, but should think they would work. If you need to convert cups to grams, you’ll find my cups to grams converter handy.
- Sugar: Did you know that sugar keeps baked goods moist and tender? It contributes much more to baked goods that just sweetness.
- Baking Powder: The leavening agent that will ensure your donuts rise.
- Salt: Salt enhancers all the other flavors.
- Almond Milk: I used almond milk, but soy or oat milk would work equally well.
- Coconut Yogurt: Acts in tandem with your plant based milk to bind the ingredients together (like an egg.)
- Vegan Butter: Keeps your donuts nice and moist.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla levels up all baked goods. Choose a quality brand.
- Blueberries: You’ll need blueberries for the donuts and for the glaze. Fresh or frozen both work. If you use frozen, defrost them before using. For the donuts, drain off the liquid and roll in a bit of flour before adding them to the batter. For the glaze, save the juice that comes off of the blueberries as they defrost.
- Icing Sugar: The best sugar for making a simple glaze.
How To Make Vegan Blueberry Donuts:
Time needed: 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180.
Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Grease your donut pans and set aside. Sift your dry ingredients into one bowl, and the wet ingredients into another.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
Tip the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until everything is combined.
- Fill the donut pan.
Fill each hole in the donut pan 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are nicely browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Make the glaze.
Simmer the blueberries in a small pan until they begin to break down. Transfer them to a blender and pulse until a smooth consistency is reached. Add the blueberry mixture to the icing sugar and thin to desired consistency by adding plant based milk 1 tbsp at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Glaze the donuts.
Dip each donut in the glaze separately and set aside for 15 minutes while the glaze hardens. Add sprinkles (optional).
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, you can, they will still turn out, but they’ll be lighter and less rich.
Yes, you can! Freeze them unglazed on a lined baking sheet and then transfer to an airtight container. They will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months. Defrost in the microwave on 50% heat for about 15 seconds.
Once you’ve added the glaze, the donuts should be stored at room temperature and eaten within 2 days. Donuts that are unglazed can be stored in the fridge for about 1 week.
Yes, you can use any plant based yogurt, or substitute apple sauce.
If You This Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Vegan Blueberry Donuts
- 240 grams (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 100 grams (½ cup) caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 240 ml (1 cup) almond milk or other plant based milk
- 2 tbsp coconut or soy yogurt
- 4 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp flour
For The Glaze:
- 95 grams ( ½ cup) frozen blueberries thawed, but not drained
- 195 grams (1 ½ cups) icing/powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk or other plant based milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F). Grease the donut pans.
- Sift the dry ingredients into one bowl, and add the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently, being careful not to over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared donut pans, filling them ¾ of the way full.
- Bake the donuts for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the donuts to cool in for 15 minutes while you make the glaze.
To Make The Glaze:
- Add the blueberries to a small pan and cook over low heat until the berries begin to break down.
- Transfer them to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the blended blueberries to the icing sugar and dilute to the consistency you prefer by adding plant based milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and allow to set for 20 minutes.