Learn how to make avocado pasta with this quick and easy recipe! All you need is your favorite pasta and a handful of ingredients to whip up this fresh, vibrant vegan dinner.
Avocado is really having its moment in the spotlight, isn’t it? Rightfully so too! This creamy, grassy fruit (yes, it’s a fruit!) is the perfect dairy free substitute for dishes that call for butter or cream sauces. So, if you’re in the avocado toast camp like me, you’re going to love this avocado pasta recipe. And what’s not to love about a midweek meal that comes to together in under 15 minutes?
Pasta With Avocado Sauce Ingredients:
- Pasta: I chose spaghetti for this recipe because its long thin strands get coated with the creamy sauce, making this dish oh so buttery and slurpable. I love this article on how to choose the right pasta for the right sauce.
- Avocado: Of course! Make sure your avocados are ripe for the creamiest pesto possible. It should yield to gentle, but firm pressure. It will feel slightly soft, but not mushy.
- Basil: Basil is a key ingredient here. It’s subtly sweet, yet peppery flavor gives this pesto its oomph. I like basil so much that I buy plants and keep them on my windowsill all year round.
- Sunflower Seeds: Typically pesto is made with pine nuts, but I’ve used sunflower seeds in this recipe. Soaking them beforehand will ensure that your pesto is as creamy as possible (see the recipe below for instructions.)
- Lemon: Lemon is avocado’s favorite sidekick – the acid keeps the its flesh from turning brown. Plus, lemon’s zesty taste contribution can’t be underestimated!
- Garlic: Is pesto really pesto without garlic?
- Chilli Pepper Flakes: Adds a nice pop of heat. Adjust the amount depending on how much heat you like. I’ve written the recipe so that the heat is a nice background note, but not too overwhelming.
- Olive Oil: Use an extra-virgin olive oil for the best taste.
- Salt and Pepper: Seasoning your food properly magically transforms it. Don’t skip it!
For a full visual tutorial on making avocado pesto, have a look at my recipe here.
- The first step is to soak the sunflower seeds in a small cup of boiling water. Soak them for about 10 minutes, while you get on with chopping the rest of your ingredients.
- Now, drain and rinse the sunflower seeds and put everything into a food processor and mix until a everything is blended and creamy.
- Add water a tablespoon at a time to thin to your desired consistency. That’s it. Now tuck in and enjoy!
If you like Avocado Pasta, You Might Like These Vegan Recipes:
Creamy Avocado Pesto
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup (20 grams) basil
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- ⅓ cup (73 ml) olive oil
- ¼ tsp chilli pepper flakes
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Soak the sunflower seeds in a cup of boiled water for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Combine all the ingredients except the water in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Fold the avocado sauce into the pasta gently and enjoy!