Vegan pancakes that are light, fluffy, delicious and loaded with fresh blueberries? Yes, please! Once you've tried these these pancakes, you'll wonder why you ever needed eggs!
I thought it might be hard to make a vegan version of the iconic light, fluffy breakfast pancake , but I was so wrong! It turns out that you can make a light, fluffy stack of pancakes with only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, and none of them include dairy!
This is what I like to call a "template recipe" because you can use it as as a foundation for your own creative pancake recipe. Chocolate chips? Bananas? Coconut? Peanut Butter? All things are possible! Check out this post by Delicious magazine for some creative ideas for pancake toppings. I've gone for classic blueberries and maple syrup, because I'm more of a traditionalist where pancakes are concerned.
Ingredients You'll Need for Fluffy Vegan Pancakes:
- Almond Milk: Make it nut-free by using oat milk, coconut milk or soy milk.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: When combined with your plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar makes a very convincing buttermilk substitute.
- Vanilla: It's always worth it to buy a quality brand of vanilla. The imitation vanilla flavoring you find in the baking section just doesn't have the same flavor.
- Flour: I used plain flour, but you can substitute whole wheat ,spelt ,or gluten-free flour.
- Baking Powder: The leavening agent that makes pancakes light and fluffy.
- Salt: Makes all the flavors pop
- Blueberries (optional): I've added blueberries, because...well...blueberry pancakes!
How To Make Fluffy Vegan Pancakes:
Firstly, make your vegan buttermilk by combining the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar. Set this aside for about 10 minutes and allow it to curdle.
Sift your dry ingredients into a large bowl. I know it's tempting to skip this step, but it really does make a difference in the fluffiness and light texture of your pancakes.
Now add the vanilla to the vegan buttermilk and pour the wet ingredients into the bowl. Stir gently, being careful not to over mix or your pancakes won't be as fluffy.
Heat a little oil in a non-stick fry pan and add the batter to the pan two tablespoons at a time. Allow the pancakes to cook until you see bubbles on the surface, then flip and continue to cook them for 2-3 minutes.
Serve with maple syrup and whatever toppings you fancy. Enjoy!
If you like vegan pancakes, you might like these vegan breakfast recipes:
The Fluffiest Vegan Pancakes
- 2 cups (275 grams) flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups (360 ml) plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup blueberries (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle for ten minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a medium sized bowl.
- Add the vanilla to the almond milk mixture and pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir gently, being careful not to over mix.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the batter two tablespoons at a time. You'll only be able to cook 2-3 pancakes at a time. When bubbles appear on the surface and the edges start to brown, flip the pancakes and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Keep the pancakes warm in the oven while you cook the remaining pancakes.