This easy peanut noodles recipe makes a great quick midweek dinner or lunch. It's creamy and satisfying and super easy to make.
Sometimes I just crave a big bowl of comfort food, and these easy peanut noodles tick all the boxes. The ingredients are simple pantry items that you probably already have on hand and the whole recipe can be on the table in about ten minutes.
What do I love so much about this recipe? The tension between the bright zesty lime, the salty soy sauce and the creamy, sweet peanut butter strikes just the right note. It's also super versatile, meaning you can throw whatever vegetables you have in the fridge in and it will be just as good. You can also serve easy peanut noodles warm or cold.
Ingredients for the noodle and vegetable base:
- Noodles: Any noodle will do here. I used a mix between spinach and normal egg free linguine. Soba, rice or udon noodles would also work well.
- Carrots: Earthy root vegetables work so well in this recipe, but as I said, this recipe is quite forgiving, so other vegetables would work equally well. Broccoli is another great choice.
- Red Peppers: Sweet red pepper is the perfect balance to earthy carrots.
Ingredients for the Easy Peanut Sauce:
- Canola oil: Choose a neutral vegetable oil for this recipe like canola oil. Olive oil doesn't work well here as the taste just doesn't mix well with the peanut sauce.
- Garlic: Have I ever made a recipe without garlic? Garlic just stretches the tastes of everything. Be sure not to let it brown in the initial steps of the recipe. Only saute it until it releases it's aromatics, and then remove it from the heat.
- Ginger: Spicy, peppery and sweet, ginger adds a little zing to these easy peanut noodles. Just like the garlic, don't let it brown. Burnt ginger becomes bitter.
- Coconut Milk: Go for the coconut milk that comes in a can, not a carton. Stir the cream with the liquid and measure out the amount you'll need. You can freeze the rest to use later.
- Peanut Butter: Go for a natural, unsweetened peanut butter, either chunky or smooth will do.
- Soy sauce (or tamari): Soy sauce adds just the right note of salty to balance out the sweet, creamy peanut butter.
- Lime Juice: You need a bright and zesty acid to balance out the sweetness of this recipe, and lime is just perfect. If you don't have a lime on hand, apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar will do.
- Brown Sugar (or Coconut Sugar): I used coconut sugar because I like to avoid refined sugars where possible, but it's equally good with packed brown sugar.
- Sesame Oil: Rich, nutty and toasty, sesame oil adds that punch that makes this sauce so delectable!
- Chile pepper sauce (like Sriracha): I only used a small amount , but feel free to add more if you like the fire!
- Garnishes: I used sesame seeds, coriander(cilantro), and spring onions.
How To Make Easy Peanut Noodles:
Cook your noodles according to the directions on the packet. Grate the carrots and finely chop the red pepper.
Heat the canola oil in a medium sized saucepan and gently saute the garlic and ginger, stirring frequently until they release their aromatics. Be careful not to let them burn.
Add the coconut milk and heat gently for several minutes. Now, remove it from the heat and stir in the peanut butter until everything is smooth and creamy. Return the pan to the heat and add the soy sauce, lime juice, sugar and chile pepper sauce.
At this point, you can let the sauce cool for a cold noodle salad, or if you want a warm stir fry, add the noodles and vegetables to the sauce and saute for a few minutes to heat everything through.
If You Like Easy Peanut Noodles, You Also Might Like:
Easy Peanut Noodles
- 225 grams (8 0z) egg-free noodles such as linguine, soba or udon
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper finely chopped
For the Peanut Sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup (115 g) coconut milk (from a can)
- 3 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon soy or tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds black or white
- 3 spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
For The Noodle Salad
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse.
- Finely chop the peppers and cut the carrots into thin matchstick size pieces. Set aside.
For The Peanut Sauce
- Mince the garlic and chop the ginger.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan and saute the garlic and ginger until they release their aromatics. Do not brown.
- Add the coconut milk and heat for a minute or two.
- Stir in the peanut butter and whisk until a creamy sauce forms.
- Add the soy sauce, lime juice, water, sugar and sriracha sauce. Heat through and set aside.
- Add the noodles to the sauce along with the reserved veg and gently stir to coat.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, coriander and spring onions.
Looking for other yummy dinner recipes?