I love overnight oats…they’re so simple and healthy. Five minute’s prep time before you go to bed, and you’ll have a nutritious breakfast waiting for you in the fridge in the morning. Made with fiber rich oats, chia seeds (superfood!) and protein packed yogurt, these make-ahead parfaits are the perfect way to start your morning.
I don’t know about you, but I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast every day. It’s the one meal that I feel the least creative vibes for because mornings tend to be rushed….the kids are getting ready to leave for school, and I’m either working from home or packing up my camera equipment for an on- location shoot.
Enter breakfast parfaits! Loved by kids and adults, they make a gorgeous, fresh, healthy breakfast that’s the perfect antidote to a busy morning.
Overnight Oats Breakfast Parfait Ingredients:
- Rolled Oats: This gluten free grain is amongst the healthiest grains on earth! They’re a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. If you eat a strictly gluten-free diet, be sure to check that your oats are labeled “gluten free,” as they are frequently manufactured with other grains that have gluten and can have trace amounts of gluten in them.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are a true superfood. They are surprisingly rich in protein, and contain large amounts of calcium, magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. They also soak up liquid and make this parfait as beautiful as it is healthy.
- Pomegranate Seeds: These jewel colored seeds are absolutely loaded with health benefits; they’re rich in fiber, potassium, Vitamin C and Vitamin K.
- Coconut milk/ Almond milk/ Oat Milk (or other plant-based milk): Choose your favorite plant-based milk for a low fat, high calcium boost.
- Your Favorite Plant Based Yogurt: I like coconut, but any plant-based yogurt will do.
- Beetroot Powder: Don’t be put off by this one! Used in the right quantities, beetroot powder does not make your food taste like beets. Beetroot powder is used to increase endurance in exorcize. It’s known to stimulate brain function and promote heart health. And, who can argue with the vibrant color it turns your breakfast?
- Maple Syrup: A great natural alternative to refined sugar that helps soften the tang of yogurt.
- Fresh Fruit of your Choice: I used blueberries and raspberries, but bananas, strawberries and red grapes would also work.
How to make overnight oat’s breakfast parfait:
This recipe couldn’t be simpler! First of all, add your oats, pomegranate seeds, chia seeds and milk to a glass or jar. Please note that the quantities in the recipe are for one large serving. If you want two servings, you need to double the recipe. You might also need to adjust the quantities to suit the size of glass you use, but overnight oats are very forgiving. A little extra milk or oats won’t make a difference to your breakfast parfait. Put your glasses in the fridge to chill for at least 10 minutes. Now, begin preparing your yogurt.
Put your yogurt in a small bowl and mix in the beetroot powder and maple syrup. Make sure any chunks of beetroot powder are broken up and stirred in. You can adjust the maple syrup quantities if you like your parfait a bit sweeter.
Layer your yogurt on top of the overnight oats. Top it off with your favorite fruit and (if you like), drizzle a bit of honey over the top. Pop it all in the ‘fridge for a quick , nourishing breakfast in the morning!
Want more yummy, simple breakfast ideas?
Overnight Oats Breakfast Parfait
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cups plant based milk (I used coconut) (237 ml)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1½ cups plant based yogurt
- 1 tbsp beetroot powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup fresh berries
- Combine the oats, chia seeds, milk and pomegranate seeds in a cup or canning jar. You might need to adjust the amounts slightly depending on the size of glass you use.
- Leave the oat mixture to set in the fridge while you prepare your yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt with the beetroot powder and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Layer the yogurt on top of the overnight oats, and top with the fresh fruit.